PDA

View Full Version : Canon 500mm F4 IS I or II ...does it really matter

Gary Sargent
03-14-2008, 05:04 PM
I'm trying to determine whether the IS selection really makes any difference in different situations. Any comments ?

Steve Ashton
03-14-2008, 05:38 PM
Hi Gary, Like you I am new on here and no wildlife expert, but in the day job I do use a lot of long lenses and find IS to be vital. I use long glass on monopods most days and find IS a great help.

My main lens is the 300 F2.8 often 1.4x conv and its very hand holdable with IS in operation. Not used the 500 but 600mm works great on tripod with Is.

Good luck with your choice.

Best wishes

Steve

Maxis Gamez
03-14-2008, 07:11 PM
My Canon 500mm f/4.5 L is not IS. Check out some of my pictures. IS is something I can leave without but I would love to have it if I can afford it.

Thank god up to this date, I find no need for it. I've used my 400 and 500 at 1/25 and 1/60 with great success!

Daniel Cadieux
03-14-2008, 09:03 PM
I don't think the OP means IS or no IS, but rather the difference between the two modes of IS ( I and II ). If this is the case then you would switch it to mode II when panning (or off for that matter...)

Robert O'Toole
03-14-2008, 10:25 PM
I'm trying to determine whether the IS selection really makes any difference in different situations. Any comments ?

With the super teles, like the 500/4, mode II is the preferred mode. Supposedly it is the "smart" mode and I have read Canon engineers recommend leaving it in that mode all the time. This mode supposedly will sense a tripod and will sense panning an compensate.
Also leave IS on all the time, it supposedly helps AF tracking, even at high shutter speeds.

My IS stays on and in mode II.

Robert

Roger Clark
03-15-2008, 01:53 PM
I'll second Robert's experience, although I don't leave it on all the time. I never use IS panning mode. I find for
the panning I find that full IS (IS in both directions) works fine. The panning mode turns off IS in the
direction of the pan (actually is it only horizontal?) What is it when you are panning with the camera vertical?
Anyway, with mode II, panning works great on the 500 in my experience.

I have tested a series of hand held IS on on my 300 f/4 and at around 1/2000 and higher IS on HURTS image
quality. I haven't noticed this on my 500, but I haven't done a specific test for it either. So when I'm
using the 300, I try and turn of IS if shutter speed is real fast. Sometimes it's hard to remember
that in the heat of action.

I'll also turn off IS if I'm doing long exposure tripod mounted shots, especially with mirror lock-up

For birds in flight imaging, I personally do better with my 500 with IS on on a Wimberly. I can do better
with that than a smaller lens hand held, including tracking

Roger
http://www.clarkvision.com