PDA

View Full Version : Snack for later (Anna's Hummingbird)

pat lillich
11-14-2010, 09:42 PM
gonna have to work to catch up with Gus....

Alan noticed a new male at the feeders, with a really beautiful gorget so we set up a few flashes just to try to see if we could get a picture. Didn't bother to do a backlight - so ended up with the black background which i know isn't desireable, and didn't get the gorget lit - but thought this one was beautiful anyway... I think he picked up an ant on the feeder.

nikon d300, sigma 300-800 f5.6 with extension tubes, iso 200, sb-900 flash on camera with 2 slaved flashes, manual exposure 1/250 sec at f/10

added a little canvas on the left - and minimal unsharp mask on the head.

Charles Daigle
11-14-2010, 10:15 PM
I dunno why a black background is undesirable, but I think it is an amazing image. Sharp, and great stop action. All I would like is even a little more space on the left, but not an image killer.

pat lillich
11-15-2010, 12:33 AM
hey Charles, thanks - I always struggle with crops. I tried your suggestion, and i do like it better too.

Gus Hallgren
11-15-2010, 12:38 AM
Love it, Pat, good color & clarity. A real winner, well done.

Way to go, Young Lady!

Gus

annmpacheco
11-15-2010, 11:28 AM
this looks amazingly sharp, really like it . thanks, ann

Roman Kurywczak
11-15-2010, 01:05 PM
Hey Pat,
No problems for me with the BG either!!!....although you may want to consider a strobe on that. I'm a tight crop guy.....so the OP works for me. Very nicely done overall!!!

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
11-15-2010, 02:12 PM
Pat,

Greetings. Really like this one, good show! If it were mine, I would move the catch light to above the horizon in the eye and light up the gorget using post-processing. I think if you play around a bit with Lab mode curves you could light up the gorget quite a bit...

Looks good as it is, though...

Cheers,

-Michael-

Julie Kenward
11-15-2010, 08:20 PM
Such a gorgeous image! I really like the shutter speed/flash settings - they captured a beautiful wing motion and the pose couldn't be better. I would have loved to have seen this in natural light but I think this makes for a dramatic image as is. Agree with Michael about the LAB colors - I bet you could get even more pop out of them.

Brian Kent
11-16-2010, 11:10 AM
I'm in agreement - I think the black back drop makes for a dramatic photo. Good work and bravo!!!

pat lillich
11-16-2010, 05:57 PM
thanks guys - I like the black background on this too - it makes for a simple, kind of elegant photo which i love - but at the same time - i know it isn't a true capture of the moment, because actually it was about 3pm and diffuse light --- ( :p and since i struggle with backgrounds, it feels just a little like cheating ) which comes down to that whole question of do I want to capture a record of the moment, or make a beautiful image....

Michael and Julie, if I pull this into LAB in CS5, would you suggest making a selection of the gorget then doing a curves adjustment to try to increase the color?

thanks again!

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
11-16-2010, 07:51 PM
Michael and Julie, if I pull this into LAB in CS5, would you suggest making a selection of the gorget then doing a curves adjustment to try to increase the color?

Pat,

Greetings. Here is a screen shot of an idea of what curves might work for the b and a channels. The image shows the curves as an adjustment layer masked just for the head (see the tiny mask on the right for the head, I just paint the mask white), but the body greens could stand a boost, too, to your taste.

Hope this makes sense...

Cheers,

-Michael-

Julie Kenward
11-16-2010, 07:57 PM
What Michael said...hahaha! Works for me!

Gus Hallgren
11-16-2010, 08:36 PM
Wish I had Michael's smarts. This is a one method in Hue/Saturation & clean up with Clone.

Not saying it's anything near perfect, and, really, if I don't get the gorget, I go on to the next one.

Need to have it facing the light or the flash from the front.

FWIW

Gus

pat lillich
11-16-2010, 09:46 PM
oh man, that was fun!!! thanks guys - applying the change, and then toggling the adjustment on and off was like watching him come alive... our Anna's here aren't quite as vibrant as yours are Gus - so i went for a slightly lesser effect, but its still gorgeous. hmmmmm - maybe a little too much on the green. going to have to go out and watch him again to see what is right.

thanks again!!

Julie Kenward
11-17-2010, 08:22 AM
Awesome adjustment, Pat!