PDA

View Full Version : Edison Theatre downtown Ft. Myers, FL

John Hawkins
11-14-2010, 11:17 AM
I went out of my element of nature photogrphy with a few friends and tried some night shots and took this of the old Edison Theatre. I used my Sony A700 with a Sigma 14mm f2.8 lens on a tripod. Data- ISO 800, 15mm ( I don't know why the data says 15mm when shot with a 14mm...?), 1.7 ev, f/6.3, shutter 1/8, metering pattern.
Welcome C&C's. Thanks for looking, John

Lance Peters
11-14-2010, 03:19 PM
Lets see what others say I can think of a couple of things :)

Robert Amoruso
11-14-2010, 08:06 PM
I like how you controlled the highlights w/o burning them. Very interesting patterns in the facade and signs.

I did a repost with lens correction applied and recropped. This caused the road to be cropped out which I like its absence.

I did another crop with just the sign and facade because I find this part of the building interesting.

I did a selection of the highlights using the channels palette, created a gray scale mask on a BG copy from that selection and changed the blending mode to multiple.

Robert Amoruso
11-14-2010, 08:08 PM
Here is the tighter crop.

Just some ideas to play with. I like the original post very much.

Dave Mills
11-14-2010, 09:20 PM
Hi John, the image is well exposed and sharp. I like the lighting and the different hues of color. I also like the example Robert showed in changing the image's perspective. However, by doing that it has a tendancy to eliminate a portion of the image as he stated. By bearing that in mind when shooting something like this in the future you might give it more room so when the crop takes place it will balance out...

Ron Bernstein
11-14-2010, 10:13 PM
It's a very nice image with lovely colors. I like Robert's first version with the ticket booth included as the best of the three, and might come down a bit from the top in that one to eliminate more black. Congrats!

Roman Kurywczak
11-15-2010, 12:12 PM
Hey John,
I did comment in F&F....so here goes a repeat. I don't mind the WA lean but the FG stripes and black up top do detract for me. I might go with a crop just above the yellow lines on bottom and then 1/2 off hte top.....unless of course you need the room for a cover shot! I like Robert's ideas of exploring this one too......so hope you took a bunch. Neon is great fun and you nailed the exposure!

John Hawkins
11-16-2010, 07:28 AM
Thank you all for your comments. As I said , this is out of my element and I will try more. I was happy with the results so far. I will take all your suggestions and put to use next time out. One note though, isn't it the purpose of using the super wide angle to get the effect the lens gives as an artistic touch?