PDA

View Full Version : Black Belly Plover ~ Pre Dawn

Jim Fenton
11-14-2010, 10:02 AM
Yesterday morning before sunrise was almost perfect for the images I like to create this time of year. A bit of high cloud, just a whisper of a breeze and no color from the sun as it had yet to crest the horizon of the ocean yet.

Nikon D300s, 600VR, TC14EII, ISO 800, f7.1, 1/60, NearUniWB, CW metering, +2.7EV applied

Sidharth Kodikal
11-14-2010, 10:10 AM
Jim, this is just beautiful. The reflection is perfect. The grass adds such an artistic touch to this image.
Very well done. Big fan of your high key images.

Patrick Sparkman
11-14-2010, 10:31 AM
Beautiful image. Bird's pose is very nice. Did you try different crop options. I know you are accentuating the reflection by having it right down the middle of the frame, but there is a lot of space around everything. Also, there is a peculiar green tone to some of the plumage. At least on both of my monitor's.

Jim Crosswell
11-14-2010, 10:33 AM
I really like the calm feel in this beautiful image. Well done Jim!

Stu Bowie
11-14-2010, 10:54 AM
An opportunity well used, and this has turned out so artistic. Perfect reflections, and I like the high key. Well done.

Scott Frye
11-14-2010, 10:55 AM
Very nice reflections and general tone but I would take some off the right -- I'm thinking the emptiness on the right side does not add to the picture. Very good early morning light and you handled it well

Randy Stout
11-14-2010, 11:03 AM
Jim:

One of your signature style images. Very nice. I am seeing the green in the feathers too.
The graphic quality to this is really neat. Like the broad vees created by the grasses.
Would have been interesting from a design standpoint if the bird had been on the other side of the grasses so that they (the grasses) pointed at the bird. As is, the pull to the right is very strong because of the lines, and I actually get pulled to the right away from the bird.

I know, I am over analyzing image composition again, but I really like to think about what various compositional elements do to our viewing experience. The repost is just a different way of looking at the image

Cheers

Randy

Jim Fenton
11-14-2010, 11:32 AM
Interesting comments about the green....I'm not seeing it on my editing monitor, but I'll have to check it out on a different one.

OK..I checked it out on a different one and I see it! I'll take care of that in a moment. Interestingly it only shows up when I do the SAVE FOR WEB.

I took the original, did a QM on the bird and desaturated the CYAN which now no longer shows the green once converted.

As far as Randy's repost goes, it just seems too tight to me...but I like negative space for isolation.

Randy Stout
11-14-2010, 11:41 AM
Jim:

In looking at my repost, I agree, I cropped in too tight from the right. When I flipped the selection, I wanted the grasses a bit closer to the bird, so cut out some of the empty space to the right. I have added it back in on this version.

I think your repost looks better without the green.

Dave Leroy
11-14-2010, 12:27 PM
Very impressive image and I like it much better without the green.

It seems a bit surreal and as if two images, one of grass the other of bird, have been combined.

For me looking at the last two images by Jim and Randy, I think one day I may prefer one and the next day the other. Both appear to be strong compositions.

Dave

Daniel Cadieux
11-14-2010, 01:13 PM
Very strong graphically and I love all the angles created by the vegetation. I only wish the taller yellow blade wasn't so vertical, but man this is quite striking.

Andrew Merwin
11-14-2010, 02:24 PM
In the OP, there are 6 Vs (arrowheads) pointing toward the bird. Plus, the reeds bend toward the bird & the vertical blade stops my eye from moving away from the bird to the right. Consequently, I like the OP better as my eye stays on the bird & then moves to the reeds which provide balance to the image. I really like the simplicity of this image & the graphic quality is wonderful. Also, the bird's beak is pointing toward the reeds & the Vs are pointing toward the bird which creates a tension that I find appealing.
TFS

Randy Stout
11-14-2010, 02:33 PM
Thanks Andrew:

Like the input. That is why this site is so helpful, lots of different views and takes on things!

Cheers

Randy

Jim Fenton
11-14-2010, 02:41 PM
Know what?

Now I know why Randy's crop really felt uneven...I didn't even catch the part which was reversed!

Tim Munsey
11-14-2010, 03:04 PM
Fantastic, like a Japanese work of art, wish it were mine.

Tim

Ákos Lumnitzer
11-14-2010, 11:12 PM
Awesome high-key image Jim. Just love it as is with no green. Very artistic. :)

Ákos Lumnitzer
11-14-2010, 11:18 PM
Awesome high-key image Jim. Just love it as is with no green. Very artistic. :)

Troy Lim
11-15-2010, 12:35 PM
Jim,

A wall hange for sure. I like the grasses facing away from the bird.

Bill Dix
11-15-2010, 05:38 PM
Stunning image, Jim. I personally like the OP composition, with the grasses just as you found them and plenty of space, with the eye of the bird at the 1/3 point. The green cast was all that bothered me; getting rid of it puts this way over the top. Congrats on a beautiful image.

James Salywoda
11-15-2010, 11:07 PM
Gorgeous Shot!!!!