PDA

View Full Version : autum leaves

christopher galeski
11-14-2010, 06:29 AM
took this shot this morning,there was a slight frost,cannon 50d,100mm macro f2.8 is lens,f16,1/15 sec,is on,slight crop,and a bit of sharpening.all comments welcome good or bad.thanks.

Mike Moats
11-14-2010, 02:40 PM
Hey Chris, the subject matter is very cluttered with bits and pieces of debris that unfortunately is not very interesting. You did well to get good focus on the main leaf. I don't think the frost is strong enogh to make this image work.

Jay Sheinfield
11-14-2010, 03:42 PM
Chris........

I see where you were going with this, I'm thinking shooting the leaf wide open (2.8 or 3.5) and almost filling the frame with it would have given you more blurred and complimentary BG and a potentially more interesting view of the frosted leaf. Could have embellished on the frost in PP. Just a thought for next time...........................

Aidan Briggs
11-14-2010, 05:16 PM
Nice idea! I agree with the others though, there is too much clutter for this to work effectively. If you have another chance, I would move the leaf to a more pleasant setting. Good exposure and sharpness.

christopher galeski
11-15-2010, 06:28 AM
thank you all for your comments,but I actually wanted the BG to be in focus,I just liked all the autumn colors,and the main middle leaf,but I understand all the comments,and thank you again.

Ken Childs
11-15-2010, 08:49 AM
Hey Christopher, with everything so close together, I don't think there was any way to shoot this and have a full subject in focus and a blurred BG and since you wanted all in focus, I'd say you accomplished what you set out to do. With that in mind, your subject is a bit too centered and should be closer to a ROT position. The leaf on the leaf looks like it could be interesting so a slight step to the left and a twist of the camera might have made an interesting comp with one leaf towards the LR and the other one near the UL. Another option would have been to open up to f2.8 and gone for a soft image with one small area of frost in focus. It pays to work over a subject and try lots of different things because you never know which one will work best. Keep them coming!

Steve Maxson
11-15-2010, 11:19 AM
Hi Christopher. Frost photos can be very cool, but I'm in agreement with the others on this one. For my tastes, the scene is too busy and the main leaf is too centered. There are a number of suggestions above for some alternate comps you might try the next time you have this opportunity. Keep them coming. :)

Roman Kurywczak
11-15-2010, 12:27 PM
Hey Christopher,
Some great advice above so I won't get into it again but want to add an in the field idea for your next time out.....just cleaning up some of the pine needles or twigs would go a long way in this image. I'm not suggesting all of them....but just the 2 above the main leaf....even if you had to tuck them down a bit......would help this image quite a bit IMO.....so just something to keep in mind. Looking forward to more of your images!

christopher galeski
11-16-2010, 07:41 AM
thank you all for your comments.

Bob Miller
11-17-2010, 08:16 PM
Hi Chris......a contrasting color leaf might have helped your image have a subject that stood out more from the bg.......hope to see more!:2eyes2: