PDA

View Full Version : Anna's Hummingbird (F)

Gus Hallgren
11-13-2010, 08:48 PM
Hi Folks;

Captured this little female Anna's in our garden early this morning in our garden.

Comments & redos always welcome.

Olympus E-3, Zuiko ED 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 SWD @ 400 mm equiv.

AP:f/6.3, 1/1000s, ISO 200, -1.00eV, CWA, sRGB, AWB

Very minimal PP, Tip I read, in CS5>CTRL +J for Copy BG layer, then Levels>Auto (Works satisfactory about 30% of the time, like this time) Then 1 round of High Pass Sharpen 1.5 radius

Jon Saperia
11-14-2010, 08:15 AM
I really enjoy your pictures - this is a beauty. Can you tell me where this was taken?
In terms of the picture, about the only think I might have done is lighten the BG above the wing just a bit to make it pop a bit more.
/jon

Gus Hallgren
11-14-2010, 08:54 AM
Hi Jon; Agree with you on ligtening the BG as I used a lighter copy for printing. Photo was taken in our garden yesterday morning in Green Valley, AZ. Located about 20 miles S of Tucson at 3000' surrounded by mountains, 2 over 9000' to the east. We are at the foot of Madera Canyon, a well known birding area. Here's a couple of links http://www.friendsofmaderacanyon.org/ and http://maderakubo.com a great place to stay. Gus

John Hawkins
11-14-2010, 11:22 AM
This is a beauty. Very sharp. I agree with lightening the bg. I would love to try and photograph one of these. I have never seen one. Don't see them here in SW FL. Thanks for sharing.

Julie Kenward
11-14-2010, 04:44 PM
Excellent, Gus! Why aren't you posting some of these in the Avian forum? They are definitely good enough! You managed to get the tail in focus this time as well as the head...I knew you could do it! The eye is right on the ROT's grid line going horizontally but it's pretty centered vertically. You might lay a grid over it and take a look and see if you could get that eye right on the top right point. That I think would be the only other way to improve on this one!

pat lillich
11-14-2010, 09:57 PM
she is wonderful Gus - and that is a beautiful background. I love the elegant pattern of her feathers under her bill.

Roman Kurywczak
11-15-2010, 01:02 PM
Hey Gus,
Sweeeeeet!!! I'm going to go against the rest.....and say lighten the wing a touch as I like the BG as is!!! Very well done!