PDA

View Full Version : A Night at Thors Hammer

Roman Kurywczak
11-13-2010, 04:26 PM
From my just completed Zion/Bryce tour.......this was the vision I had B4 I left for the trip. This was painted with a 5 million candle power flashlight....bounced off an adjacent rock wall. Not many positions to choose from because of the steep drop offs......even have some with Thors Hammer in the sky a bit....preferred this version.
Canon 1D Mark lll at ISO 6400 for 30seconds at f4. All tripod mounted with bubble level in HS and noise ninja used in PP'ing.

Dave Mills
11-13-2010, 06:55 PM
Hi Roman, nicely lit without being overdone. Interesting the way the comp is framed and liking the dark backround of the mountains against the lit formations. Playing a bit with a crop and finding I like the image cropped a little below the central bright grouping of stars. I also see some noise to the left of thors hammer.Wondering if thats due to the size adjustment for posting.

Andrew McLachlan
11-13-2010, 08:22 PM
Hey Roman, I figured you would capture a nightscape or several on your Bryce tour. I like how this one turned out. Looks like just enough light-painting on the foreground. Well done!

Roger Clark
11-14-2010, 08:51 AM
Hi Roman.

Beautiful image. The small star cluster at upper center is called the Pleaides, and below that is the constellation of Taurus. I certainly would not crop out any stars as Dave suggested, as the stars separate the image from the gazilliona of other images taken from this spot. While I like the image a lot, there are three things I don't like. 1) The clouds on the horizon detract because thay are dark. 2) The light on the foreground is a little bright for me. 3) The light on the foreground is too flat. Perhaps a boost in contrast in the foreground rocks and darken a little would help?

Roger

Robert Amoruso
11-14-2010, 09:46 AM
I am glad someone (thanks Roger) mentioned the stars as that is what I really love about this image - not that the FG isn't stellar too.

Nice work Roman.

denise ippolito
11-14-2010, 08:37 PM
Beautiful image Roman, I love the stars and the illuminated FG. The clouds on the horizon add a nice layer to the image IMO.

Ron Bernstein
11-14-2010, 10:09 PM
This image really has impact. It was well thought out and really captures the viewer's attention. Roger's comments caught my attention, particularly on his comments 2 and 3, regarding the question of whether the rocks aren't too bright. I'd love to see a version incorporating those comments. Congratulations on a project well conceived and executed!

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
11-15-2010, 08:13 PM
Wish I could of snuck in and shot that very nice