Canon 1D mk III
Canon 100 2.8 macro lens
f/2.8
ISO 1600
1/400 sec.

note: small jpeg here not as sharp at tip as original

Dave Leroy
11-13-2010, 12:05 PM
Nice shot. I like these tight close ups.
Perhaps a bit more sharpening on the tip would take care of the smaller file issue.

A tiny crop off bottom might be nice also.

Gary Hamilton
11-13-2010, 12:19 PM
Nice shot. I like these tight close ups.
Perhaps a bit more sharpening on the tip would take care of the smaller file issue.

A tiny crop off bottom might be nice also.

Thanks, Dan. I tried sharpening it even more but it does not seem to make a difference on my screen.

Roman Kurywczak
11-13-2010, 04:21 PM
Hey Gary,
I think that a crop off the bottom like Dave recommended will work for me.....just clean up the lines. Did you take any with slightly more DOF? I like the green lines but am wanting a touch more detail in there......would be interesting for comparison. For a shallow DOF image.....this works very nicely.....so well seen and composed!

Ken Childs
11-13-2010, 05:52 PM
Hey Gary, this was nicely spotted! The colors look very good and I really like the concept. I agree that a slice off the bottom would be a good idea and if you have the canvas, more on the left and top might be a good idea. I did a quick "smudge increase" to make additional canvas and thought the results looked more balanced. It also looks like it could benefit from a round of NR. This is a great effort and a few tweaks will easily take it up a notch or 2! :)

Anita Bower
11-14-2010, 08:13 AM
Lovely colors complement the soft nature of the image. I like the dof you chose. Nice composition. Cropping some off the bottom and the right would move the stigma close to the rule of thirds position, making a stronger composition. Nice work!

Anita Bower
11-14-2010, 08:14 AM
I did a quick "smudge increase" to make additional canvas

Ken: What is a smudge increase?

Gary Hamilton
11-14-2010, 09:52 AM
I did some NR and re-cropped it as suggested. I appreciate the advice. I'll check to see if I have any other images with more DOF.

Steve Maxson
11-14-2010, 10:42 AM
Hi Gary. This is a cool image and you have some good suggestions above. The repost works well as an alternate crop, though you might also try adding back a little room at the bottom as yet another alternative. :)

Aidan Briggs
11-14-2010, 05:23 PM
I definitely like the repost better. I like shallow DOF, but am thinking that it needs a bit more here. Nice colors and composition.