PDA

View Full Version : Red Admiral Close-up...

Michel Pilon
03-14-2008, 02:21 PM
Hello all,

Here is a picture I took last July at East Angus, Quebec...

This butterfly was not afraid of me at all!!! It was a real pleasure to photography it... It is not often that we can go so near a wild butterfly with a camera!!! :)

Thank you for your comments!

Michel

EXIF: ISO100; 1/500s; f4.0; without tripod et without flash

http://parcours.pilonm.org/pictures/insectes/vulcain6.jpg

Robert O'Toole
03-14-2008, 04:35 PM
Pilonm,

Very nice, the details are great and the colors look very good. I like the comp the way it is but I wonder if you tried any verticals? I would like to see more of the wing detail which is the best part I think.

The only thing I would change other than the vertical format, is the lighting. It is a little contrasty.

Robert

Roman Kurywczak
03-15-2008, 07:58 AM
Hi Pilonm,
I enjoy the tight shot here. Go figure! My only nit is to maybe tone down the background a little (especially between the legs) and IMO the contrast problem goes away.
Very nice action,
Roman

Don Lacy
03-15-2008, 06:48 PM
This is a very nice image full of color, I think if you could tone it down a little just a tad is all it needs it would make it even nicer

Vincent Grafhorst
03-17-2008, 10:04 AM
Great detail and colors you have captured here Michel. This comp however does not work for me, as Robert said the most striking part of a butterfly are the wings and I really miss the rest of the wings here. Btw what lens did you use to get this close?

Mike Moats
03-17-2008, 04:00 PM
Hey Plionm, I really like this comp, wierd combo of colors. great details. Well done.

Michel Pilon
03-19-2008, 03:48 PM
Hello all,

You are right about toning down the bg... I did it and it looks better.

This picture is full size and it is like I wanted it (a good close-up composed like that...).

Robert said the most striking part of a butterfly are the wings and I really miss the rest of the wings here. Btw what lens did you use to get this close?<!-- / message -->

I have other pictures of this nice butterfly with other compositions... Here, as I said, it is the close-up I wanted in order to get the head details...

The lens I used with my bridge (Panasonic DMC FZ-20) is a Raynox DMC150 macro...

Cheers!

Michel