PDA

View Full Version : Where DID everybody go?

Julie Kenward
11-12-2010, 03:54 PM
I know some of you have noticed that it's been a bit slow around here as far as getting a response from the Moderators of this forum. I'm sure you're also wondering what happened to the new contests and bi-weekly challenges that we started and then, just as suddenly, stopped. So here's the skinny...

Lance Peters has asked to take several weeks off to handle a personal issue so he'll be gone for a while longer but we're confident he'll be back to moderating in no time.

John Chardine is - and correct me if I"m wrong, John - in the middle of the Antartica right now with very limited Internet access.

That leaves...well...ME! And I'm here but I'm also very busy with fall family portraits and trying to capture a few other images before all the leaves hit the ground so I've even missed a day or two of moderating here and there.

But hang on everyone...

I'm here to stay and John will be back in another week and Lance will be back shortly after that. We are anxiously looking forward to starting up the challenges again and to be the new ETL team that will help you all grow photographically and artistically so keep posting - just please be patient and I promise I'll get to everyone's images. In the meantime, I've said it before and I'll say it again - the best way to learn around here is to critique each other's images to the best of your own personal ability. Everyone that posts should also be critiquing whether there is one moderator or twenty to voice their opinions.

Please send Lance your best wishes as he makes his way back to moderating at BPN again and let's all wish John a safe voyage as he travels in what must be incredible circumstances. Now let's all get back to shooting again!

Roman Kurywczak
11-12-2010, 04:36 PM
Will pop in to give a hand Jules.....now that I'm home! Hve a safe trip John and best of luck to you Lance!!!

Lance Peters
11-13-2010, 05:55 PM
Thanks to all for the messages of support and kind words - means a lot!!!
I will do my best to drop in as circumstances allow - I will however be totally incommunicado from DEC 9 - Jan 15.

:)

Gus Hallgren
11-13-2010, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the message, Julie, and Lance's situation. John C. did great with his Laptop & appreciate his replies.

Lance; here's wishing lots of good luck with your situation. I miss our mate's kind comments from down under and wish him a great Holiday season, and looking forward to his return first part of 2011.

Was nice that Denise of OOTB helped out with her on the mark kind gentle replies, and Roman always a purveyer of super advice will be welcomed.

What I'm surprised about is the lack of new posts to ETL. Jules advice to jump in and critique each other is something that I feel I have been remiss about, and I'll try to remedy that. Good thought, Jules, you're always on the ball! I approve that message! (As the politicians would say :2eyes2:

Have been with ETL since it started, and if I had followed all the great advice offered I should of graduated by now :2eyes2:.

Great Forum, super Moderators and friendly nice participants! :cool:

Big hugs to you all.

Gus aka Uncle Gus

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
11-15-2010, 02:06 AM
Thank you for the update Julie. The moderators here sure did a lot of work and I appreciated them very much. Lance, wish you the best of luck. Miss your comments very much.

Desmond Chan
11-15-2010, 02:26 AM
I'm sure you're also wondering what happened to the new contests and bi-weekly challenges that we started and then, just as suddenly, stopped.

I found that quite disappointing. I would rather see them happen (actually I was excited about the contests) than seemingly another face-lift of the BPN site, which doesn't work for me anyway.

Lance Peters has asked to take several weeks off to handle a personal issue so he'll be gone for a while longer but we're confident he'll be back to moderating in no time. All the best, Lance !

Jon Saperia
11-16-2010, 06:24 AM
First, I hope that the moderators get and stay happy and healthy. Also, I am sure they know that we appreciate their efforts on our behalf.

In terms of posting, I have been slow - the more I see and learn, the less I like pictures that I have taken. I certainly have a better eye than I used to have and will try to comment more. This is a hard time of year in New England for great photographs. Most of the summer residents have gone and winter is not yet in full swing. :-)

Brian Kent
11-16-2010, 10:11 AM
I find this forum to be simpily amazing - the amount of work you moderators do, and the quality of your critiques, is simply the best. As a fair beginner in the art of bird photography, I often feel I'm not "up to snuff" to be able to critique another's image. But I really SHOULD contribute - I've been "taking" a bit too much of late, and not giving back near enough. So your point is well taken Julie!!!

Lance - we are looking forward to your return! Julie - thanks so much!

All the best,
Brian

John Chardine
11-20-2010, 11:59 AM
I'M HERE (yelling from a long way off!!!!!). I am indeed in Antarctica, and have been in the Falklands, South Georgia, and am now heading through the Chilean fiords. I have been extremely busy on the ship and although we have internet access, it's very slow most of the time. I continue to try to devote time to BPN while I am away, although my input will be much reduced compared to the norm. I am back on 19 December so just under a month to go.