Canon EOS REBEL T1i
Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS @ 400mm
Av mode
1/800"
F8
ISO:400
HH
LR and CS3

This morning I went looking for late season dragonflies around my ponds but since there weren't any, I HAD to find something else to shoot. We're in the midst of a bad drought here which, for this shot, turned out to be a good thing. This was shot from a spot that would normally be under water and it's the only spot on this pond that has trees right on the shore. I sat down and waited for leaves to fall and for the wind to do fun things to the water.

I tried a very small dose of surface blur since that was working so well for Jules. :)

Roman Kurywczak
11-12-2010, 04:48 PM
Quick thinking Ken! Colors look great but not sure I love the leaf position.....not that you can control that! If the stem had turned more parallel to you.....this would be off the charts!!!

Jay Sheinfield
11-12-2010, 05:47 PM
I have to agree with Roman, the leaf sideways or head on would have been the thing, didn't you have any waders:)? This colors and diagonals and ripples in the water are dreamy and just fabulous!

Anita Bower
11-12-2010, 07:34 PM
I thought I saw the Jules influence! Lovely colors and light. Agree with leaf position. I would also crop so leaf is in ROT position, but then, I'm always cropping!

Mike Moats
11-13-2010, 05:30 AM
Hey Ken, love the feel in the water and the surface tension around the leaf.

Dave Leroy
11-13-2010, 12:36 PM
I really like the complimentary colours of reflections and the leaf.

Photo has a nice peaceful feel to it.

Ken Childs
11-13-2010, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the comments!

Jay, I tried using my force powers to get the leaves into the positions I wanted them in but I guess yesterday was an off day for me. :D

Anita, I fudged a little on the ROT crop because I wanted to keep a nice balance of the reflection colors.

Steve Maxson
11-14-2010, 10:28 AM
Hi Ken. You and Jules are onto something here! I like how the leaf draws my eye into the frame - and then I begin noticing all the very cool colors and patterns in the water. :) Sorry to hear that your force powers were not working well that day.;)

Aidan Briggs
11-14-2010, 05:27 PM
Great job on this one! I love the colors and reflections. If you get another chance, I think this might work even better with a more colorful leaf.

Well Done!