PDA

View Full Version : Sunrise at Bryce

Roman Kurywczak
11-12-2010, 09:47 AM
Wanted to show you guys and gals that I also do venture out during the day! This wasnot after a sleepless night! I bought a new filter to experiment with for this trip. The Daryl Benson Reverse Grad ND.....3 stop....from Singh Ray in the 4x6 size so I could HH it in front of the lens. In these situations it is almost impossible to get the sun or horizon in the same tonal range as the FG......because the strip is darker in the center..graduating up....it worked. I did also take some that I would do an HDR on or an exposure blend......but was very happy that I could get this all in one frame!
Canon 1D Mark lll with the 17-40mm lens at 23mm and f22 for 0.4 sec. and ISO 200. All tripod mounted and bubble level in HS. 3 stop reverse grad ND filter on sky.
I highly recommend this filter for the floridians or where the horizon is relatively without protrusions! had to save at 58 quality!

denise ippolito
11-12-2010, 01:25 PM
Roman, Looks like your new toy did the trick for the sunrise. Beautiful vista and comp.!

Dave Mills
11-12-2010, 02:59 PM
Hi Roman, I'm trying to remember when I've seen Bryce taken this way. Usually its the early light directly on the formations and not a sunrise. You handled the image beautifully with the new filter really working for you.
Good choice of foreground with the treed cut acting as a leading line. Beautiful sky with offset sun and a starburst. Finally, soft light on the formations make this a 3 mug clink.:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Hazel Grant
11-13-2010, 09:07 AM
capturing the bright that still gives soft clarity to the rocks--unique for that area. well done. thanks for the details of how.

Andrew McLachlan
11-13-2010, 10:39 AM
Roman, you handled this one beautifully. Love the rays from the sun and the foreground details too. I am thinking you probably have a few nightscapes to show us also?

Robert Amoruso
11-14-2010, 09:38 AM
Roman,

THe FG has good detail and the sky and sun saturation looks just right. I am wondering if the dark part of the BG has more detail in the hi-res tiff; I am betting it does.

Hilary Hann
11-16-2010, 10:44 PM
Not knowing this area at all I can't compare with other landscapes, only can say that this has worked brilliantly. I love the feeling of an age old landscape renewing itself which I see through the ancient rocks and the brilliant sunrise.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
11-17-2010, 08:01 AM
looks good Roman, have to try that filter some day