PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Grumpy Face

Christopher Miller
11-11-2010, 09:34 AM
Hi all! Been awhile since I posted here in the Macro forum. I found this toad one morning recently and was able to get some nice close-up shots. Any comments and suggestions would be most appreciated!

Olympus SP-550 UZ
f4.5 @ 1/30, ISO 100, -1.0 EV
Aperture priority mode, pattern metering, cloudy WB
Processed in PS CS2; cropped, curves adjustments, lightened the shadows a bit, and some cloning to remove a few spots on the front leaf and even out the BG

Mike Moats
11-11-2010, 04:43 PM
Hey Chris, nice in your face shot. Good details on the eyes and face. DOF works fine as any more would clutter up the BG.

Andrew McLachlan
11-11-2010, 05:48 PM
Hey Christopher,

Toads are lots of fun to shoot. They have real personality and you have captured a lovely "grumpy" looking personality here. As Mike said nice details on eyes and face and good DOF too. If it were mine I think I would clean-up the little bright fleck of debris above the left eye. I find it a touch distracting.

Jay Sheinfield
11-11-2010, 07:46 PM
Christopher,

Nice to see you posting in the macro forum.................I think its great as is, the front foot adds good interest.
Sharp exactly where you want it to be, and the dirt only adds to the grumpy, grungy look..............Jabba the Hut had nothing on this guy ! :D Well done..........

Ken Childs
11-11-2010, 09:27 PM
Hi Christopher, it's nice to have you drop by for a visit! Your title is perfect for this shot! This guys looks grumpier than the average toad, and that's really saying something! DOF looks good and the dirt on the head is what I'd expect to see on one of these guys so it doesn't bother me. You might give a shot at blurring or removing the leaf vein that's pointing towards the ULC....it's pulling my eye up towards that corner. Other than that, this looks great! :cheers:

Christopher Miller
11-11-2010, 10:46 PM
Thanks a lot, Mike, Andrew, Jay, and Ken. I appreciate the comments. Yeah, this was one very grumpy looking toad. I think he had gotten up on the wrong side of bed that morning! :D Here's a repost with the leaf vein in the ULC blurred a bit more and the white spot above the left eye toned down a bit.

Roman Kurywczak
11-12-2010, 10:19 AM
Hey Christopher,
I was fine with the OP........but I can also go with the repost in regards to the leaf vein. Both work for me. The pose with the leg is what puts this one over the top for me.....so very nicely done!

Steve Maxson
11-12-2010, 12:55 PM
Hi Christopher. I agree with the others - this is a very cool shot. Nice sharpness and just the right amount of DOF. The low eye-level shooting angle is also a plus. I like the repost with the blurred leaf vein and the toned down sand grain. This face should be on a "greeting" (?) card! :)

Jerry van Dijk
11-12-2010, 02:32 PM
Hi Christopher, this is a grumpy fellow indeed! I like the original post. Strong points are the matching colors of the toad and the leaves and the position of the toad in the frame with it's foot in front. Well done.

Christopher Miller
11-12-2010, 07:09 PM
Thanks Roman, Steve, and Jerry! I appreciate the comments.