PDA

View Full Version : Tern blur

Kerry Perkins
11-10-2010, 11:28 PM
Caught this tern capturing breakfast on a very early gray day at Bolsa Chica. The only processing on this one was adding a layer of sharpening, masking it with a black mask, and painting in a bit of detail on the head, bill, and breakfast. :cool:

denise ippolito
11-11-2010, 12:00 AM
Nice capture by both! I like the softness and the comp. I love the blurred wings.

Andrew McLachlan
11-11-2010, 05:28 PM
Kerry, I really like this capture. I think it has just enough blur and good details remaining where they are important. Well done! Do you know what the tern has in its bill?

Anita Bower
11-11-2010, 05:36 PM
What a beautiful image! I like the position of the bird and wings. Beautiful soft tones with the bill standing out and that hint of water.

Jay Sheinfield
11-11-2010, 05:57 PM
great shot! agree with the blur on the wings, terriffic. nice soft mood.................

Cheryl Slechta
11-11-2010, 09:15 PM
Kerry, I really like the soft monochrome with the red bill for contrast. I love the wings a lot and especially like the little trail of water droplets behind the tern:)

Kerry Perkins
11-11-2010, 09:40 PM
Thank you for your comments, I appreciate them!

Andrew, I'm pretty sure that is a Diamond Turbot. That fish has a unique shape that gives it the name. :cool: This is a flatfish (like a flounder), and has both eyes on the right side. In this image we are seeing the left side with no eyes and not much color.

Christopher Miller
11-11-2010, 10:11 PM
Very nice, Kerry. Love the pose and the soft blurring of the wings and feet. I might have placed the bird a little higher in the frame, but that's just my opinion. Well done.

Kerry Perkins
11-12-2010, 12:24 AM
Thanks Christopher, I pondered the crop for just that reason but decided that the tern was flying up at this instant (although it's not that obvious) and thought it would be good to leave it space to fly into. Good eye!

Mark Fuge
11-12-2010, 10:34 AM
Nice image and application, Kerry.

Like the crop and effect of the blur.

Hope the Sushi was still fresh when he got back to the nest. ;)