PDA

View Full Version : Tern DAP

Nick Palmieri
11-10-2010, 08:11 AM
I having an upcoming "creative nature" competition coming up in my photo club. I was playing with some images and thought I would get some input from BPNs creative minds. This s a tern adult feeding a juvenile a needle fish. Taken this past summer at Nickerson beach in LI, NY. I duplicated the layer applied DAP Benson (on oil canvas) then masked out to reveal a little of the head, eyes, and fish. Suggestions and comments greatly appreciated.

denise ippolito
11-10-2010, 08:57 AM
Nick, I think it came out great. I might evict the second catch light in the juvi's eye if it were mine. Near the adults wing is a straight line-I might smooth it out. Both very, very minor. Excellent work w/ the program and revealing the details!!! Good luck in the upcoming competition-you'll do great!:)

Jay Sheinfield
11-10-2010, 12:01 PM
Looks very painterly! The only thing I might do in addtion to the catch light suggestion from Denise, is to lighten the outline of the adults eye just a bit, to the level of the juvenile. Nice feeling to it! :D

Cheryl Slechta
11-10-2010, 08:48 PM
Nick, this is super - they look like celestial beings:) I love the colors and the lighting. I agree with Denise & Jay's suggestions but think they're both minor. Good luck with the competition - it looks like a winner to me:cheers:

Christopher Miller
11-10-2010, 09:17 PM
Super image, Nick! Wonderful interaction and a very lovely impressionistic, painterly feel. The bit of detail in the birds' heads and the fish is just perfect. Good luck on the competition, let us know how you do! :)

Kerry Perkins
11-10-2010, 11:38 PM
Hi Nick, I would give you the blue ribbon for this one! Very nicely done. It is pretty tricky to get a good result with DAP and you did a great job with it. I agree with suggestions above and would add that, to my eye, the bills seem just a tad too real for the rest of the image and stand out a bit. I might use just a bit less of the original layer on them. Very nicely done.

Ákos Lumnitzer
11-12-2010, 09:15 PM
This is awesome Nick. I cannot add anything but well done! :)