PDA

View Full Version : West Fork Trail, Sedona, Az

Ron Bernstein
11-09-2010, 09:34 PM
I'm having fun with Nik's HDR Efex Pro and solicit comments!
Canon Mark IIN, Canon 16-35/f.28 @ 16 mm, Gitzo tripod, RRS head; ISO 320, no noise reduction.
Thanks!
Ron

Dave Mills
11-09-2010, 09:54 PM
Hi Ron, I like your basic comp using the rock wall as a leading line with the inclusion of the rt foreground.
The colors on the rock wall appear natural to me but the colors on the trees and areas on the rt seem to have a bluish caste which IMO is not helping the image and giving it a somewhat unnatural look. Not sure if thats what you were going for.

Ron Bernstein
11-09-2010, 11:05 PM
Terrific observation, Dave. I used remove color cast in Nik's Color Efex Complete 3.0 to remove the blue cast and warm the image. I like it much better. Spot on comment; thanks!

Dave Mills
11-10-2010, 12:29 AM
Hi Ron, definately see the difference. Good job!!

Roman Kurywczak
11-10-2010, 02:46 PM
Hey Ron,
I do think the repost is better.....but I am still having difficulty with the RH side. Not sure if it an over sharpness thing....or sepration issue....but the RH side needs something a bit more.....but I can't place my finger on it! Will think about this one a bit more and see if I can think of something. Let's see what others chime in.

Andrew McLachlan
11-10-2010, 05:54 PM
Hey Ron, a very nice composition. I love the rock wall. I'm with the others on the right side of the image. I am wondering if perhaps it is too bright and needs to be toned down. Have you tried the Nik grad-filter it may work here. Just a thought.

Ron Bernstein
11-10-2010, 11:24 PM
Awesome suggestions, folks! I hadn't used the grad filter before in Nik Color Efex 3, since I just got the complete version yesterday, but I think it addressed the issue and kept the eye in the frame, and from drifting off the right side of the comp.

Robert Amoruso
11-12-2010, 08:37 AM
Ron,

I think your are getting there or are there. I like it. I would classify this HDR as being more towards the "grudge" look and less naturalistic but I think with the colors and detail you had to work with, that the look you achieved works IMO.

Andrew McLachlan
11-12-2010, 08:55 AM
Hi Ron,

I really like the re-post. I think you have got it and as you mentioned the eye tends to stay within the comp now rather than go to the bright area you toned down. If it were mine I think I might go a tad darker, but what you have here works very well. Great job!