PDA

View Full Version : Overcast day iris

Bill Randall
11-09-2010, 08:49 PM
This was under difficult conditions. Used multiply blending and two curves adjustments to get something out of this. I liked the color under the lighting so I tried to save it.

Dave Mills
11-09-2010, 09:48 PM
Hi Bill,I generally like simpler images and this comp is a bit busy for my taste. Many of the flowers are running into each other and are losing their distinctive shape. There are also a number of petals where the detail is lacking. The backround looks a bit cut out due to the white line on the right and the black line on the left.Not sure how you got that in PP. Finally the colored flowers in the backround look a bit oversaturated.
Picking a smaller,more well defined clump(if possible) might have been a better choice for a foreground...

Bill Randall
11-09-2010, 11:42 PM
I don't know what gave that cut out effect either. Multiply was the only thing I did differently.

Roman Kurywczak
11-10-2010, 02:42 PM
Hey Bill,
I agree with Dave's assesement on the scene but read that you did a multiplied layer on this.....the sky looks VG because of this with only a few halo edges (easy clean up) but I think the grouping of iris's is what is hurting the image the most. Groups are very difficult to get in the field.....because of the many factors involved with BG's and controlling merges....only option in the field I can think of.....was picking a few....getting lower on the gound....and isolating them against the sky. Not sure that you wouldn't lose the field look but if you were using a WA lens.....that may still have worked! When you get a chance, please post the specs of camera, lens, ISO, f-stop, SS and anything else as this helps us evaluate an image better and possibly provide more detailed solutions.

Robert Amoruso
11-12-2010, 08:33 AM
Bill,

Dave and Roman's assessment are on target IMO. I always have a tough time with this type of image and their suggestion on isolation is generally a good way to go.