PDA

View Full Version : Uh Oh!

Rachel Hollander
11-09-2010, 08:17 PM
I wanted this one to be more about the salmon than the bear. Taken by Brooks Falls in Katmai National Park, Alaska in the evening. This was one of the bears that sat mostly submerged and then would go under when he spotted a fish. He caught this one and came up shaking the water off the same way a wet dog does. The fish was still flapping too.

Canon 50D
100-400 @ 400mm
1/640
f7.1
ISO 800
Taken from the observation platform. I think with a tripod. Contrast boost, cropped and sharpened.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Marc Mol
11-09-2010, 09:24 PM
Nice action depicted here Rachel, with the white water and dripping fur.
Did you manage a frame with the bear's eye in shot? can't quite tell here with this image?
TFS

Ken Watkins
11-09-2010, 10:38 PM
Rachel,
A little more shutter speed may have helped here, probably only achievable by dropping to F 5.6, as ISO 800 is probably the maximum. Perhaps some NR on the water at the bottom.

I can see the eye but only vaguely, have you tried a little selective lightening in this area?

Ken Watkins
11-09-2010, 11:09 PM
Rachel,

I could not resist having a go.

Main result came from moving middle slider in curves layer to left. Then a few small tweaks, lightened the eye selectively and a little NR on the whites on the waves.

Hilary Hann
11-09-2010, 11:11 PM
I agree with you Rachel, this is about the fish and you have a good shape, eye and dripping water around it. Have you looked to see how it would come out cropping more to the fish. As it stands, it looks like you are intending it to be about the bear, and without the eye it misses the mark. Not sure how much you've cropped and how it would stand up to further cropping. I think you could crop to the bear's ear and down from the top and a fraction from the bottom.

Rachel Hollander
11-09-2010, 11:23 PM
Thanks Marc, Ken and Hilary for the comments.

Marc - The bear's eye is just obscured by the tail. Although in the frame before the bear's eye is visible, the fish position is not interesting and there is too much water spray.

Ken - Thanks for the repost but the color seems a little off. The bear was both dark and wet making it darker. I'll try some noise reduction on the water on the bottom and I'll play a little more to see what I can come up with.

Hilary - Thanks, I do want it to be more about the fish than the bear. I thought putting the fish in a rule of thirds placement might work but I'll look at other crops and see if I have the IQ for them.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Ken Watkins
11-09-2010, 11:38 PM
Rachel,

For obvious reasons I had no idea what colour the bear was, but nevertheless try curves to open it up a bit.

I can see the eye clearly, it is hust above the three water droplets (one large), to the right of the fishes tail.

I would leave the crop as is.

Look forward to seeing your repost.

Rachel Hollander
11-10-2010, 12:21 AM
Here's a repost. I still think the eye socket is partially obscured by the tail and the eyeball by the water drop.

Rachel Hollander
11-10-2010, 12:25 AM
For Hilary - Here's a repost with a tighter crop, even more focused on the fish. However, I think I still prefer the original crop.

Always happy to have other opinions and suggestions.

Thanks,
Rachel

Hilary Hann
11-10-2010, 01:51 AM
Thanks Rachel, I think the IQ doesn't take the additional crop, sadly. I agree with you re the eye, I can't see it but Ken may be right.

Steve Kaluski
11-10-2010, 02:54 AM
Hi Rachel, as you say, these guys come in various colours from light to dark (well when cubs), but do vary, so I think your OP is pretty faithful. With such a shot you really do need to be quick and SS high and some decent light, sadly 1/640 to me it isn't quite quick enough and as Hilary as kindly mentioned, your last posting really hasn't taken kindly to a large crop. Also these locations can be quite dark, but not having been to these falls I really can't say on this one.

Personally I would have only 'lightened' around the nose and jaw, the fish, water and body looks OK based on the overall feel and can't see any advantage of adding any more NR to the water as you will lose detail and it will flatten things out depending on how much you apply and the density/opacity applied etc. Also I feel you are limited to how much you can do with the software you are using at present, roll on Xmas and Santa.

Lastly the eye. I'm struggling to see it too, as following the outline of the head, the tail of the fish is hiding it IMHO, even with both reposts I cannot see any glint or reference?:confused:

TFS
Steve

Ken Watkins
11-10-2010, 04:06 AM
OK here it is, my glasses must work better than I thought:D

Rachel Hollander
11-10-2010, 07:56 AM
Thanks Steve, Hilary and Ken. I agree the IQ doesn't stand up for the tighter crop.

Ken - I'm going to respectfully disagree on the location of the eye. I've looked at this shot at a variety of magnifications and also had the benefit of several other shots of this bear. The bear has a very dark, deep socket surrounding the eye and small beads for the eye. From this angle, we cannot see the bear's eye. The socket is just above where the arrow points (where there is some separation between the tail and the face - sorry don't know how to do an arrow) and the eyeball would be behind the water drop in that space. Your arrow points to a scratch or scar on the bear's face. The scratches/scars are lighter and redder than the fur which is I think causing the confusion. Thanks though for all your efforts and work on the image. :)

For me, this shot is all about the fish and its eye anyway.

Thanks again everyone,
Rachel

Ken Watkins
11-10-2010, 08:38 AM
Rachel,

I cannot disagree with youas you were there, but if it is not an eye, why is it eye shaped. glossy "yellow", and has a black dot in the middle?

Rachel Hollander
11-10-2010, 09:59 AM
Ken - I don't know but I'd step on it to kill it. :D I do see what you're seeing when I pixel peep and blow up the image but it's not the eye, too small. The eye would be to the left of that spot and a little above it as well.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Ken Watkins
11-10-2010, 10:15 AM
OK, I have Nikon lenses in my glasses:D

Stu Bowie
11-10-2010, 12:01 PM
Hi Rachel, bear fur obviously holds a lot of water, as its running off his neck in rivers. A fair size catch for the big guy, and comp wise, Im going with your OP.

Rachel Hollander
11-11-2010, 09:41 AM
Thanks Stuart.

Harshad Barve
11-14-2010, 08:00 AM
Super moment and great thread here
TFS