PDA

View Full Version : photographing Eagles in Chilkat Valley - Haines Alaska?

Matthew Studebaker
11-09-2010, 02:39 PM
Has anyone photographed Eagles in Chilkat Valley - Haines Alaska? Was it worth going? I know the numbers of birds there are insane, but how are the shooting conditions?

Declan Troy
11-10-2010, 01:01 PM
Hi Matthew,

I made one quick trip there and would love to do it again. Well worth it in my book. Lots of birds and nice setting. The birds are not as concentrated as at the Homer feeding station and one risks (lucks out?) copious precipitation but there are many miles of river to find an angle/setting of your preferences.

Declan

Jeff Dyck
11-10-2010, 02:01 PM
Matthew - I have been through the Chilkat preserve a couple times but it has always been in the summer rather than the fall when the birds are really concentrated by the late run salmon / freezes in the interior. My experience sounds like Declan - a beautiful setting with lots of eagles around but not as concentrated as I have seen in other areas.

FYI - I lived in Prince Rupert, BC for several years (south end of the Alaska panhandle) and like most places along the coast, when the weather gets cold in the interior the birds move to the coast were there is open water. The best eagle photography I have ever seen (that most photographers will never have even heard of...) has been during the Oolichan run in winter (usually for a week or two in early March) along the Skeena River between Prince Rupert and Terrace, BC.

Charles Glatzer
11-15-2010, 04:16 PM
It can be good provided the weather holds up. Getting there if far more difficult than Homer. Shooting areas off the main road are limited as is your position relative to the light, assuming there is light.

Chas