PDA

View Full Version : Portrait of Mantis

kostas nianiopoulos
11-09-2010, 01:15 PM
http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/2613/portraitofmantis.jpg

Found this guy in luck as i was looking to get image from some flowers to rest on a brunch.
i Didn't had a flash with me , i have use just the one of the camera .

crop , levels , topaz denoise , focus magic .

canon 50d
1/60
f8
iso 200
EF USM IS 100MM L.

thanks for watching .

Julie Kenward
11-09-2010, 03:49 PM
Oh Kostas! This is totally alien and I love it!

I'd maybe run a bit of a curves adjustment to get the high tones to pop a bit more and smooth out the body line on the left side where it looks like something OOF is growing out of him.

Very unusual perspective!

Jim Bridges
11-09-2010, 06:39 PM
These are one of my favorite bugs to find! This is fabulous... the color and detail on the eye is wonderful...an excellent job on this image..:cheers:

Dave Leroy
11-09-2010, 10:58 PM
A really neat looking image. Focus is spot on. I also like the pose with the appearance of the Mantis standing.

Very well done.

Steve Maxson
11-10-2010, 01:04 PM
Hi Kostas. This is a very cool view of the mantis! Nice exposure and good sharpness on the head. The forelegs sticking out to the side were drawing my attention away from that fantastic head so I tried a tighter crop to put more focus on the head and to move the eyes more into a ROT position. Let me know what you think. :) Well done.

I see there were some color/saturation shifts in the repost - I kind of like them, but they were not intentional on my part. :)

Roman Kurywczak
11-10-2010, 04:48 PM
Hey Kostas,
Very cool perspective! I like the OP presentation but the colors in Steve's repost may be the way to go! You might just do a bit of contrast on the OP...and that will work very nicely! Very well done!

Ken Childs
11-11-2010, 08:37 AM
Hey Kostas, this is one cool looking Mantis! Normally I'd want more DOF but in this case, the shallow focus works really well. I like both the OP and Steve's repost but I think I'd go another route....cropping a small amount from the top. I like the longer arms because it gives me the feeling that this little alien is about to give me a big, friendly hug! :D

Christopher Miller
11-11-2010, 09:13 AM
Excellent up-close image, Kostas! Very cool perspective, and the shallow DOF works well. Personally I like the composition of the OP. Steve's repost is a little tight for my liking. Well done!

Jerry van Dijk
11-12-2010, 02:48 PM
Nicely done, Kostas. Wonderful colors and impressively up close and personal! I do wish for slightly more DOF, just enough to get more of the eyes in focus.
Is this full frame or did you crop the image?

kostas nianiopoulos
11-13-2010, 04:15 AM
Nicely done, Kostas. Wonderful colors and impressively up close and personal! I do wish for slightly more DOF, just enough to get more of the eyes in focus.
Is this full frame or did you crop the image?

it is crop , and large one if i remember well