PDA

View Full Version : Fava beans and a nice chianti...

Steve Kaluski
11-09-2010, 12:25 PM
Sorry, thought the title was rather appropriate with this Grizzly.

These bears were going through a phase of Polyphagia, which means "eating too much" as they were getting prepared for Winter. Sadly at the rate at which they ate, it also had other consequences to their digestive system. This sow had just finish off eating a huge salmon and by her expression was re-living the moment, although being rather sloppy in the process. BTW the little black marks are flies/mosquitoes and they bite!

Steve
MKIII 300f/2.8 1/200 f/5.6 ISO400 (HH, FF)

Marc Mol
11-09-2010, 04:26 PM
The open mouth and dripping fur really enhance here, in an ideal world, would have liked the other grizzly out of frame, but.......hey you get that.

These bears were going through a phase of Polyphagia, which means "eating too much"

Went through that same phase whilst 4 weeks in Kenya/Tanz Steve!:(

Austin Thomas
11-09-2010, 05:59 PM
Sow this is Mrs Lecter.... I'll get my coat.

Great detail Steve as we come to expect from your images. This picture also tells a story which is important. Without having read the text I was aware that the "marks" were flies so no concerns from me that they appear in your image.

I would have liked to have seen a little more of the eye and as Marc mentions a diffused green background without the second grizzly would have enhanced this image further.

Cheers

Austin

Andrew Merwin
11-09-2010, 06:36 PM
Steve, the detail is impressive. I think the other bear makes the bloody drool pop & consequently adds impact to the image. Also, the BG bear makes the drool connecting the upper & lower jaw visible. I like the bloody red mouth & the tooth. I also would like to see more of the bear's eye. Is there a reason you leave the flies in the image instead of cloning them out?

Rachel Hollander
11-09-2010, 08:07 PM
Steve - Based on your title I expected to see a bear eating another bear, glad it wasn't that. Great detail and color. I too wish for a little more eye and that the other bear wasn't there. But since this is nature we can't always get what we want!

TFS,
Rachel

Hilary Hann
11-09-2010, 11:03 PM
Beautiful detail and I personally like leaving flies in. Love the drool. Would love to see a touch of the eye. Not sure about the background, doesn't fuss me either way but all green or all bear would have been cool.

BTW, hated the movie. Walked out half way through and had a cigarette (and I don't smoke)! :)

Stu Bowie
11-10-2010, 11:49 AM
Thr drool puts this over the top Steve, and you have captured excellent detail throughout.

Steve Kaluski
11-10-2010, 12:03 PM
Thanks guys.

To me, having the eyes open would not have conveyed the 'savouring the moment', I think we all have been there is some shape or form. :D The slightly closed eyes is the bliss factor for me?

Re the young cub in the BG, 50/50, as I felt this one was eating, head down, although you could not tell, but being dark highlighted the salivating bears dribble for me. Perhaps this another case of seeing it in situ and reading too much in perhaps? We will see how this does next month, as I have included this in just for a punt for something next year I am doing.

Thanks again to all.

Steve

Harshad Barve
11-14-2010, 07:57 AM
I am loving this
TFS