PDA

View Full Version : Water Lily #?

Jay Sheinfield
11-09-2010, 12:02 PM
Took this earlier this summer in the rain.

Nikon D3s
340mm
iso 400
1/100@f/16
hand held in prone position, with lens resiting on camera pack.

Heavy overcast, so I did some curves work to pop it out. Light crop from original just to pinch left and right a bit...............slight leveling adjustment which may have left it a bit tight at the top.

Thanks for the look..................

Julie Kenward
11-09-2010, 03:51 PM
Jay, this is really beautiful! I think the clarity of the reflection really makes this special. I agree that it's a little bit tight on top only because you have a bit more room showing at the bottom past the reflection and I think you need at least that much on top to balance the image out.

Everything else is wonderful! Great colors and clarity on the waterdrops is super!

Dave Leroy
11-09-2010, 11:02 PM
Lovely photo.
An easy fix to add a bit to the top.
I really like the depth of field as well as the nice soft colours.

Linda Dulak
11-10-2010, 08:20 AM
Jay: Lovely image. Waterlilies in the rain are so beautiful. That ripple in the water makes it special.

Linda

Steve Maxson
11-10-2010, 12:53 PM
Hi Jay. Another great shot! Lovely colors, excellent sharpness and depth, I like how the flower is tilted toward us, the rain drops are a plus, and the reflection makes this one unique. I like the comp, as presented. :) Very well done.

Jay Sheinfield
11-10-2010, 01:15 PM
Thanks everyone..............appreciate the feedback. I will check out adding some canvass, so how that works.

Roman Kurywczak
11-10-2010, 04:38 PM
Hey Jay,
Love the angle here.....although something is making me feel CCW rotation....not sure but something you may want to explore b4 the added canvas! Sweet colors and the ripple puts it over the top.....so very nicely done!

Jay Sheinfield
11-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Roman,

I actually did a slight CW rotation.......wasn't sure whether to level the flower or the ripple.........I tried the ripple, but it could have just as easily been the other way.............thanks for the kind words.

Patrick Sparkman
11-10-2010, 09:45 PM
Beautiful shot. I really like center part of the flower.

Ken Childs
11-11-2010, 08:32 AM
Hi Jay, you just keep pumping out the beautiful waterlily shots and this certainly is another winner! I can see why Roman has the urge to rotate this CCW but I think I'd leave it as is because of the orientation of the ripples. In addition to adding some canvas at the top, I'd look at removing a very small slice from the right. It looks good as presented but a couple of very small editing tweaks will put this one over the top! :cheers:

Christopher Miller
11-11-2010, 09:17 AM
Wow! Very lovely shot, Jay! The colors, detail, and raindrops are fantastic, and the ripple in the reflection takes it over the top. Very well done! :)

Anita Bower
11-11-2010, 11:55 AM
The rain drops and the circles in the water created by the rain add that extra special something to this lovely image. Fantastic colors, composition and reflection. Beautifully done.

Jay Sheinfield
11-11-2010, 12:48 PM
Again, Thank you all for your kind words and suggestions.

Mike Moats
11-11-2010, 04:48 PM
Hey Jay, great stuff, the reflection really makes the shot.

Jerry van Dijk
11-12-2010, 02:54 PM
Hi Jay, this must be one of my favorites of your water lilies. The tilted position and the positioning in the frame contribute much to this, but your excellent timing to get those ripples from a falling drop in front of the lily takes this one a step further. A little more canvas at the top might work, but I already like it as presented.