PDA

View Full Version : Hungary lens which one ?

Michael Southcott
11-09-2010, 09:24 AM
Hello everyone,

Next year May/June im booked for the Hungary Hide photography not sure if i can mention the company but by looking at various websites i see that many of you have been.

So my question is which lens to take the 500/F4 or 300/2.8 i've only found one site that gives focal length details and most seem to be with the 500, but knowledge is everything and those of you that have been will know what would be the better option to take.
Thanks in advance.

Regards

Mick ..

Charles Glatzer
11-09-2010, 09:54 AM
Difficult choice 300 f/2.8 or 500, if it is where i am thinking the darkened windows hold back a lot of light requiring high ISO and/or fast glass.

Chas

Michael Southcott
11-09-2010, 02:10 PM
So Peter would the 500 be your choice if you could only take one ..

Mick ..

Giulio Zanni
11-09-2010, 02:42 PM
I regularly shoot from hides in Hungary. You might be long with the 500mm. I suggest 300mm on crop bodies + TCs or 400mm on FF + TCs. In this case the minimum focus distance is more important than the maximum focal length. Makes sure that you also have extension tubes with you. From a hide you cannot move back if you are too long. Also, prefer faster lenses over longer lenses, as the available light is never enough and most of the drinking hides are surrounded by trees. It might be also a good idea to have a second body with the 70-200.

Giulio

Charles Glatzer
11-09-2010, 10:01 PM
I would also suggest wearing dark colored clothing to negate reflections in the glass. This is not an easy shoot. Make sure you get all the details from your guide before departing to make the most of your time spent. Wireless remote off-camera flash placed outside the blind may prove beneficial.

Chas

Michael Southcott
11-10-2010, 04:16 PM
Giulio,

Yours was one of the threads that i check previous to this thread thanks for your comment and you have some great images on your site.. body with 70/200 is in the bag.

Chas,

Interesting i need to look into this as i have a 580exii

Mick ..