PDA

View Full Version : White-throated Rock Thrush in Habitat

Craig Brelsford
11-09-2010, 08:46 AM
Like you, I'd prefer a more straight-on angle for this male white-throated rock thrush. Despite that handicap, I chose this photo because it faithfully represents this thrush in his forest habitat. My shot gives us a good view of the bird, including the white dot on the throat that gives the species its name. The photo, cropped 5 by 7, also displays enough of the surrounding habitat to show how this stunning Monticola stands out among the green foliage and gray branches. To make the head of the thrush more prominent, I took the area of the tree just behind the head and turned it from black to gray. I photographed my thrush in a coastal forest near the Yellow Sea in Jiangsu last month. Comments always appreciated.

Device: Nikon D300
Lens: VR 600mm F/4G
Focal length: 600mm
VR: OFF
Aperture: F/7.1
Shutter Speed: 1/50s
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Exposure Comp.: 0EV
Metering: Center-Weighted
ISO Sensitivity: ISO 200

Notes: Shot in mirror-up mode. Used shutter-release cable.

Richard Stern
11-09-2010, 09:50 AM
Hi Graig,

I love this image - the bird is well posed, sharp and in focus, and I think the crop, and inclusion of the habitat just adds to the overall impression. The large black patch on the tree above the bird is a bit of a distraction, and perhaps could be lightened a little more.

Richard

Craig Brelsford
11-09-2010, 10:07 AM
Thanks, Richard. I remember smacking my lips when I noticed this opportunty. For once I had a clean shot.

Stu Bowie
11-09-2010, 10:40 AM
Lovely colours on the thrush Craig, and you have done exceptionally well to get a clear shot in the forest. The OOF trunk doesnt really distract, as it is separated enough from the thrush.

Ákos Lumnitzer
11-10-2010, 07:25 AM
I cannot see any PP work on the tree so kudos mate. :) WOnderful looking species and your comp works just perfectly. I bet they are shy of flashes? :)

Craig Brelsford
11-10-2010, 07:30 AM
Akos, hi, good question about the flashes. I don't know the answer because I didn't use my flash that trip. I'd be interested in knowing how a flash might have added value to this shot.

Ákos Lumnitzer
11-10-2010, 04:54 PM
What I mean is most of your recent shots have been without flash. It was a blanket statement. I suppose at times a flash would help with some shaded areas like under the tail etc. I don't need to tell you, because you know what you are doing. :) Cheers mate.

Craig Brelsford
11-10-2010, 06:33 PM
Hi Akos, the truth is that I need to develop my understanding of flash photography. I do use flash occasionally.