PDA

View Full Version : Ruddy Turnstone

Mark Young
11-09-2010, 06:18 AM
Another image from Sunday mornings session.

Canon 7D 300f4+1.4tc, ISO400, f7.1, 1/2000, manual mode

John Chardine
11-09-2010, 08:07 AM
Super sharp, nice composition and walking action Mark. Like the surf behind. I wonder if there is any detail you could bring out in the eye? I am quite willing to accept that the you were level and the beach was sloping, but it sure gives the impression that a CWW rotation is needed.

Craig Brelsford
11-09-2010, 08:19 AM
Good low perspective, good detail throughout. I don't think the image needs a CCW rotation so much as a bit more room at the bottom and right. The image seems to be telling the story of a turnstone walking up the slightly sloping beach as the surf rolls in.

Mark Young
11-09-2010, 08:45 AM
G'day John and Craig, thanks for taking the time to comment.
John, I've got a number of images from the day where the bird is on more level ground and is positioned a bit better but where there is also some clutter of weed under the bird. I chose to post this image because overall it has a lot less clutter in it, but as you remarked, the sloping ground does make you want to straighten it.

This image as Craig points out tells the story of the bird coming back up from the approaching wave. So I'm wondering if maybe if I cropped this with more room around the bird if that would show the bird and the sloping ground a bit better?

Craig Brelsford
11-09-2010, 09:08 AM
I'm wondering if maybe if I cropped this with more room around the bird if that would show the bird and the sloping ground a bit better?

You're telling the story of the sloping beach and bird pretty well already, but the shot ends abruptly below the bird. A bit more room down below may make a big difference.

Stu Bowie
11-09-2010, 10:28 AM
Good walking pose Mark, and always enjoy surf BG's. Your low perspective works well.

Daniel Cadieux
11-09-2010, 12:28 PM
Nice low angle, and good clean BG. I like the edge of the foaming surf. A bit more room below is not a bad idea, and I would do some beach clean-up - especially the larger OOF item in LLC, and the black spot near the bottom edge below the feet.

Kaustubh Deshpande
11-09-2010, 02:30 PM
Terrific shooting and bird angle in this one. I like the diagonal lines in the comp. a lot. Very strong.

Ákos Lumnitzer
11-10-2010, 07:26 AM
agree with more room below. I am enjoying your series Mark. Well done mate, cannot wait to see more. If I may suggest to tidy the specular highlight towards the left of the frame in line with its breast.