PDA

View Full Version : Petal Flaps

Jason Hurst
11-09-2010, 03:00 AM
I figure the best way to learn some of the intricacies of using a DSLR after shooting film for over 30 years, is to post a few photos from my "maiden voyage" with a DSLR and absorb all the valuable feedback I get from DSLR "veterans". (which I am most appreciative of)

So here is another image from my first set.

http://i56.tinypic.com/5vqicl.jpg

Anita Bower
11-09-2010, 10:28 AM
The colors are lovely here, as are the ruffles of the petals. I'm having trouble seeing the image as a whole because I'm terribly distracted by the large watermark.

It would be helpful to include some information with your posts, such as camera, lens, f stop, shutter speed, ISO, whether you used a tripod, type of light. Also, some info about post processing.

I look forward to more of your work.

Jason Hurst
11-09-2010, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the feedback Anita. Much appreciated.

Sorry about the watermark, I was playing around in Photoshop last night, and thought I'd put it on a few pics. Didn't realize it was so distracting. My apologies. I'll make it smaller next time. :(

I also forgot to include some technical info, so here it is:

Canon 1D Mk III
ISO 100
Tamron 90mm f/2.8 1:1 macro lens
1/125th sec @ f/4

Anita Bower
11-09-2010, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the feedback Anita. Much appreciated.

Sorry about the watermark, I was playing around in Photoshop last night, and thought I'd put it on a few pics. Didn't realize it was so distracting. My apologies. I'll make it smaller next time. :(

I also forgot to include some technical info, so here it is:

Canon 1D Mk III
ISO 100
Tamron 90mm f/2.8 1:1 macro lens
1/125th sec @ f/4

Jason:
The watermark may not bother some. I'm one of those who greatly dislikes them, and I may be an extreme case. I do look forward to seeing a smaller one. :D

Ken Childs
11-09-2010, 03:14 PM
Hi Jason, Anita is right. The colors are lovely. For a shallow focus shot, I think there's too much going on here. My eye is bouncing all over the place trying to find something to focus on. I do think, however, that there are some worthwhile shots within this shot. Look for a sharp point and try to find a crop that will put that point in a ROT position. Don't be afraid to rotate or even skew it a bit to get something nice. :)

I agree with Anita about the large signature. I know most posting here probably will disagree with me but I don't see any reason to put a sig on a photo. If someone wants to steal my posted photos, putting a signature on them isn't going to stop them. With today's software, cloning away a signature is easy.

Jason Hurst
11-09-2010, 03:21 PM
Thanks Ken. I appreciate your feedback and will see what I can do with the image.

Julie Kenward
11-09-2010, 04:12 PM
Jason, I like what you've done here but I think you can take this a bit further. The colors are very nice but the darker tones tend to get a bit muddy near the base of the petals. Try doing a levels or curves adjustment to lighten those darker areas up a bit more.

Also, if you are going to show foliage at all, it's better to show it in at least 3 corners to balance the image out. As it is, the green looks a bit like a distraction instead of something you meant to include. You can either recrop and get it out, clone over it with the neighboring pinks, or zoom out and include more greens throughout the image.

I also find the watermark a bit big. I use a signature tag line on most of my images in a small corner and at a lowered opacity so it doesn't draw too much attention but Ken's right. If they want your image, they'll take it. As long as you have the original file you can always go after them if you decide to, although registering your images with the copyright office also helps protect your rights.

Steve Maxson
11-09-2010, 04:21 PM
Hi Jason. I would agree with Anita and Ken - as presented, the clear focal point of the image is ... your signature. Personally, I don't mind them as long as they are small and don't detract from the overall image (and I use them on my own images) - but Ken is right - they are easily removed if someone wants to steal your photo. I do like the colors and the petal shapes, but as Ken notes, there is a lot going on here all at once and I like his suggestion to try some alternate crops, rotations, etc. :)

I see Jules posted some additional good suggestions as I was writing this. :)

Jason Hurst
11-09-2010, 04:44 PM
Thanks Jules and Steve. I'm basically learning photoshop (i.e levels/curves etc) as I go, and after being a film fanatic for 30+ years I'm so used to just "accepting" what the camera gave me (taking into account all what I "input" into the camera/session), so I may be a bit tentative about "adjusting" the images. But I'm sure I'll start to get the hang of it.

I did perform a rather substantial crop of the image, and will post that in a couple of days to see if it meets with more approval.

I again apologize for the oversized watermark, and will reduce it if I plan on putting it on more images.

It's nice to receive constructive criticism from fellow/fellowette photographers, which is the only way to learn.

Ken Childs
11-09-2010, 06:02 PM
It's nice to receive constructive criticism from fellow/fellowette photographers, which is the only way to learn.
Jason, one of the best ways to learn is to do some critiques of your own. You'd be amazed at what critiquing can do to to get your mind working. I didn't feel qualified when I first joined BPN but I quickly learned that when I took a close look at what others posted, it helped me to think more about my own work and what I needed to do to improve. Hopefully you'll get your own DSLR soon so you can jump into the fast lane of instant results! :)

Jason Hurst
11-09-2010, 08:29 PM
For sure Ken.

That's one of the things I'm looking forward to doing once I get my own DSLR. I'm very self critical, and want to be the best I can be. I'm always looking at ways to improve.

I take my photography seriously, and try and learn not only from examples set by others, and what I can absorb from them, but also from reading, experimenting (what I think is the major benefit of digital), and also as you said, self critique.

I honestly think that with digital, it is just as important to learn as much as one can about Post processing (even if just the basics as one should inspire to get the photograph "right" in the camera), as it is the technical aspects of photography. I've always believed that the photographer should not rely on PP to "create" a photograph, but it is a necessary part of digital photography.

I find that seeing incredible images from others does inspire me, and I can't wait to get my own DSLR.

Roman Kurywczak
11-10-2010, 04:23 PM
Hey Jason,
Well....I'm a little late to the party as I was traveling...but great advice above! Watermark mentioned....so just keep it in mind....but I want to talk on some other points. I like your attitude towards PP'ing! It is a very important tool in todays worlds of imaging.....spoken as a long time slide shooter!!! The world that DSLR will open up to you......both in experimenting and possiblities.....is endless!!! I have seen my own macro work blossom....mostly due to the digital revolution.....as the instant feedback is invaluable to correct in the field missteps! Learning some PP'ing tricks will only shorten the learning curve! Do remember to post the specs....this only helps us better evaluate an image and give some possible solutions to help you in your quest! Welcome to the forums and looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Jason Hurst
11-10-2010, 06:54 PM
Thanks Roman. Much appreciated. I love the "positive" feedback given here on BPN, even in a constructive criticism format.

I too come from the world of slides...VELVIA rules!!! So I look at PP not for "creating" an image, but for "enhancing" or ALMOST "perfecting" an image that has already been created/taken. I as the photographer WANT to do the work, take the photograph, create the image. I DON'T want some software to do the work for me, and I take the credit for it. Maybe I'm old fashioned in that sense, but it gives me more pride.

Roman Kurywczak
11-10-2010, 09:21 PM
Hey Jason,
As I mentioned......when I teach during my tours or workshops.....I stress in camera!!!.....so your philosophy mimics mine! I think this is the approach more photographers need to take! It isn't old fahioned IMO.....just good photography!!! Glad to see your approach.......this will only help you when you make the full time conversion.