PDA

View Full Version : Myrtle Warbler on Green

Jeff Dyck
11-08-2010, 08:42 PM
Here's one from this past August - a Myrtle passing through on the way south. An out-of-focus branch that passed behind the bird was cloned out.

Canon 5DII -- 400mm f5.6L w/25mm Extension Tube -- ISO500 -- 1/400s @ f5.6

Arthur Morris
11-08-2010, 08:49 PM
You did a great job on the branch removal, the image is sharp, the EXP is perfect, and the head angle is better than that. The remaining branches frame the subject nicely.

Randy Stout
11-08-2010, 08:56 PM
Jeff:

Very nicely presented, sharp, well exposed.

I am seeing some cloning defects to the left of his left foot, just above the leaf.

You must have been very close based on your extension tube. Was this at a setup of some sort?

Cheers

Randy

Jeff Dyck
11-08-2010, 09:16 PM
Jeff:

You must have been very close based on your extension tube. Was this at a setup of some sort?

Cheers

Randy

This was not a set-up per se (i.e. I am not luring the birds in any way). I have a favorite place to photograph warblers along the Wabigoon River near my home. This particular location has a long, steep (~45 deg) grassy, tree covered embankment down to the water. When insects are hatching out of the river the warblers are continuously moving up and down the river in groups going from tree to tree looking for food. I slide a bit of the way down the embankment on my back, dig in my heels and my backside, cover myself with some camo netting and just wait. The steepness of the embankment lets me shoot "through" single tree tops. Because of the steepness, I shoot off of a monopod. No matter which direction you shoot you get a sizable separation to the background and depending on the angle of the shot you can get dark blueish water, lush greenery or yellow straw from an adjacent field. The birds often get within a couple feet and I either have to lean as far back as I can or wait until they move further away to get a shot!

Randy Stout
11-08-2010, 09:27 PM
Jeff

Thanks for the info. Sounds like you have found a great place.

Randy

Arthur Morris
11-08-2010, 09:30 PM
And well worth the effort!

Craig Brelsford
11-09-2010, 08:34 AM
Good image, good work Photoshopping the branch out, and an interesting explanation of your spot.

Stu Bowie
11-09-2010, 10:18 AM
Good sharp detail, and I like the hint of yellow below the wing. Perfect pose too.