PDA

View Full Version : Mushrooms

Dave Leroy
11-08-2010, 07:52 PM
I took this one a week or so ago.
50D, 1/40, f/8, ISO800, 100mm macro and extension tubes.

I wonder if the bg is too distracting?

Dave

Dave Woeller
11-09-2010, 09:40 AM
Hi Dave, Nice selective focus. For me, the concern with the background is that the right mushroom extends right through the middle of the green background plant. I don't know if you could have moved your shooting position or not. A darker background may make the mushroom stand out more. It just seems as though the mushroom and background are competing with each other. Please keep in mind this is just my personal taste and thoughts. Others may disagree. Still a very nice capture of the mushroom.

Anita Bower
11-09-2010, 10:18 AM
I have been pondering what I think about this image, and Dave figured it out--the mushroom going through the green plant causes problems. If the BG were more blurred, it wouldn't be such an issue. I like the composition, the light tones, the colors, the angle of view. Thanks for sharing.

Ken Childs
11-09-2010, 02:52 PM
Hi Dave, it's an interesting low view and good composition but as has already been pointed out, the plant behind the mushroom is causing problems. You could try to blur the BG a bit more but I think you'd still have a problem with that one plant. It looks like those plants are all over so maybe it wasn't possible to get a shot without one of them getting in the way. To get this one working completely I think you would need to do some plant removal before taking the shot, assuming you aren't wrecking someone's nice garden. :)

Steve Maxson
11-09-2010, 03:56 PM
Hi Dave. I would agree with the others about the background issue. I like the two mushrooms with their curved stems and the way you have placed them in the frame. I would like to see more DOF on the mushrooms so that more of the tops (and stems) were in focus - of course, that would bring out more detail in the background and make that issue even more pronounced. This becomes a tough issue to solve - maybe Ken's idea of removing some of the background plants before taking the photo would be the easiest solution. :)

Dave Leroy
11-09-2010, 10:45 PM
Thanks everyone.
I had wondered about the bg.

Another possible solution would have been to take the extension tubes off and back up a bit.

Next time!!
Dave

Roman Kurywczak
11-10-2010, 04:05 PM
Hey Dave,
Great advice above.....and I agree with the suggestions. I never recomend pulling live plants.....so your only option was to use live view....especially at this low angle.....to see if you could isolate the shroom against the BG. I spend more time on that than actually taking the image!!! I applaud your efforts of getting low.....so b4 you get down there.....police the area if possible....if not.....move to an area that is better suited to your hard work! You are definitely on the right track!!!