PDA

View Full Version : Moonset Over The Sierra

Hank Christensen
11-08-2010, 02:51 PM
A crescent moon glows in the warm colors of sunset as it sets behind the crest of the Sierra.

Canon 40D
EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L @310mm
1.3 sec, f/7.1, ISO 200, -2/3 EV

I shot this last month across the Owens Valley as the crescent moon set over the eastern crest of the Sierra Nevada, 30 minutes after sunset. Although this image is mostly a color abstract, I kept the silhouetted mountain ridge in order to anchor the shot, and give it a sense of place.

Andrew McLachlan
11-08-2010, 04:45 PM
Hey Hank, well done! I love that the whole moon is visible in this shot and good choice to include the mountain range at the bottom.

Morkel Erasmus
11-08-2010, 06:04 PM
this has an otherworldly feel to it...awesome simplicity and earthy tones. reminds me of the game/movie "DUNE" ;)

the cloud layers put it over the top
well done!

Chris Ober
11-08-2010, 09:26 PM
He who controls the Spice controls the universe... :)

Well done overall. I think I'd prefer if the moon wasn't blown. Two shots merged would work nicely I think. Love the colors and cloud texture with just enough mountain showing.

Marc Mol
11-09-2010, 07:05 AM
Love the different cloud layer banding of colours here Hank, nicely captured with just the right amount of mountain showing.
TFS

Dave Mills
11-09-2010, 10:28 AM
Hi Hank, The image overall is well handled. Just enough silhouette for a base with good placement of the moon. I see no reason for detail in the moon band that is lit and like the fact I van see a faint outline of it.
The layering,subtle color and cloud texture adds alot to the image.

Robert Amoruso
11-09-2010, 11:59 AM
I agree, this is great for all the reasons mentioned above.

Robert Amoruso
11-09-2010, 12:00 PM
He who controls the Spice controls the universe... :)

Chris,

I wonder how many persons will know where this quote comes from.

Hank Christensen
11-09-2010, 12:51 PM
Chris,

I wonder how many persons will know where this quote comes from.

Robert,

There are more fans of Arrakis than you think! :-)

Hank Christensen
11-09-2010, 12:58 PM
Thanks all for the comments. I tried several exposures, but chose this one - it was a balance between *slightly* blowing the moon's highlights with keeping noise out of a too-dark image. I couldn't bring myself to blend exposures because the shot was of a moon. Call me old-fashioned, but seeing way too many sloppy pasted-in moon shots, I just couldn't bring myself to do it, even if it was to re-create reality.

Roman Kurywczak
11-10-2010, 01:59 PM
Hey Hank,
Just returned from Zion ......so late to the party as I was traveling most of the day yesterday.....I think you chose a nice balance with the moon ( I got to cheat and read all the comments:D). I can see all the other points but overall this had a very nice balance and look to it! Very nicely done!

peter delaney
11-23-2010, 03:14 PM
beautiful........ love it