View Full Version : Asiatic lions

Nonnie Saran
11-08-2010, 02:00 PM
Canon EOS 1D Mark 4
Canon 100-400 IS
F/8.0 , ISO 320

Steve Kaluski
11-08-2010, 03:34 PM
A nice moment Nonnie, you have some good detail and have captured a tender bond.

I think there is more detail/content to be had if you slightly lightened the blacks a bit more around the nose and mouth and the eyes of the cub. Also I think it would have been better if you had not cropped the rear of the lioness and there was some more foreground.

Always easier with hindsight. :D

TFS
Steve :cheers:

Marc Mol
11-08-2010, 04:18 PM
A lovely moment, well captured. Would wish for more room on the right.
TFS

Rachel Hollander
11-08-2010, 04:27 PM
A very cute interaction captured. I agree with Steve and Marc that I would prefer to see the whole lioness.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
11-08-2010, 05:52 PM
can only echo Steve's technical comments. it's always great seeing Asiatic lions on the forum. is this full frame? I too would like to see the complete lioness :)

Ken Watkins
11-08-2010, 11:09 PM
Do you have a wider image, if so you maybe able to do something with the crop, it reeally needs a little more space at the bottom as well.

A slight opening up of the Lions would also help a lot.

Was this taken in Gir?

Nonnie Saran
11-09-2010, 12:05 AM
Thank you for all your feedbacks. I have posted a image with more space around as many requested .

@ Steve - I am not that familiar with PP techniques . How can I brighten up the blacks . I have CS4 .

@ Ken - Yes, This has been shot at Gir NP , as you may be knowing this is the last refuge of the Asiatic Lions living in the wild .

Hilary Hann
11-09-2010, 05:26 AM
This crop is much better. Nice moment captured between lion and cub.

Ken Watkins
11-09-2010, 08:41 AM
Nonnie,

I have used your repost and done the following in CS4, in the adjustments box click on the second box "levels", drag the middle slider left yo kighten image, in this case the level was fragged back to 1.25. Then I clicked on the last box selective colour selected black and reduced (drag to left by 10 points), and flattened image.

I then adjusted both contrast and intensity with Velvia Vision (plug in), finally a slight sharpen using Smart Sharpen at 100% 0.1.

You will be able do far more with the original RAW.

Rachel Hollander
11-09-2010, 08:50 AM
I much prefer the wider view and Ken's repost has improved it.

Well done.

Rachel

Steve Kaluski
11-09-2010, 09:12 AM
Hi Nonnie, if you duplicate your image and use Highlight/Shadows (with caution, as this is a strong tool) & Levels just to bring out some of the detail you have there. Then apply a mask are paint in the areas you require, this will allow you to be specific in the areas you want to treat, then flatten and re save. As mentioned by Ken always best to work on the RAW file to achieve maximum potential from your images. All I have don is worked around the heads & toned down the tree on the rh edge, very quickly.

In your next postings it would be good to say when this image was shot ie early morning, as it can help in looking at the image. If you go back to your original image I think you will be pleasantly surprised how good an image you have. With all changes you make in your RAW converter & PS just be gentle and easy on what you change. :D

Nonnie Saran
11-09-2010, 09:34 AM
Thanks Ken and Steve for your effort and tips to improve the image . I actually need to learn to tap all the potential CS4 has to offer. Before that I may need to calibrate my monitor . Your versions definitely look peppy .

@ Steve - The image was shot at 1800 Hrs in April 2010 . It was a clear day . In Gir , Gujarat the sunset is around 1930 Hrs .

Steve Kaluski
11-09-2010, 10:24 AM
The image was shot at 1800 Hrs in April 2010 . It was a clear day . In Gir , Gujarat the sunset is around 1930 Hrs .

Based on the time I think your OP was fairly faithful to the colour. Calibrating your monitor is key, there should be an option to set a reminder not to forget, but beware monitors will drift and you need to keep it up to date. Also where your monitor is location, should, if possible, have the same light constantly, (if any). :D

cheers
Steve

Harshad Barve
11-14-2010, 07:53 AM
this is suer cute image , terrific
TFS