PDA

View Full Version : Bosque's White-tailed Kite

Bonnie Block
11-08-2010, 01:06 AM
http://www.pbase.com/herderdog/image/130146449/original.jpgAfter three days of watching and waiting at Bosque, this afternoon we were rewarded with a
great sighting of a White-tailed Kite with prey. The second Kite was not to be found today.
Maybe tomorrow!
Canon EOS 7D
1/2000s f/9.0 at 1120.0mm iso400

Ákos Lumnitzer
11-08-2010, 05:10 AM
I am trying to work out the 1120mm. Is that a 500/1.4x and the FOV crop value?
In any case, nice light, but there is a problem with the IQ here, which I think may be from a large crop or gross underexposure. A little NR would help, but the lacking of detail in particular on the wing area is a bit of a letdown. However, the pose is good and great to see the catch too! :)

Doug Brown
11-08-2010, 07:35 AM
Just out of curiosity, where have they been hanging out? I'll be at Bosque starting this weekend; will you still be there?

Dan Avelon
11-08-2010, 03:02 PM
This is a nice image too bad the focus seems very soft.

Bonnie Block
11-08-2010, 03:04 PM
I am trying to work out the 1120mm. Is that a 500/1.4x and the FOV crop value?
In any case, nice light, but there is a problem with the IQ here, which I think may be from a large crop or gross underexposure. A little NR would help, but the lacking of detail in particular on the wing area is a bit of a letdown. However, the pose is good and great to see the catch too! :)
Akos, it's an 800/5.6 with a 1.4 tc. I actually am surprised I have anything at all to show for the lens with coverter on the 7D---it does not auto focus. In the excitement of finding the bird and stopping the car, I grabbed the closest camera, which was the 7D, not my MKIV. I forgot that the converter would not focus in that combination.
Processed on my 13 inch laptop--so a disclaimer on post processing here. It was an exciting find--hope I get another chance before I leave the area. Thanks for commenting!

Bonnie Block
11-08-2010, 03:07 PM
Just out of curiosity, where have they been hanging out? I'll be at Bosque starting this weekend; will you still be there?
Doug, the kites hang out about a mile north of the visitors center on hwy 1 left hand side as you are coming in.
between the pond and the cement power buildings. There is a pair. This image was taken directly across from the visitors center on hwy 1. We will miss you :<( leaving on Thursday. Things are improving bird wise--but still very low numbers.

James Prudente
11-08-2010, 03:43 PM
Glad you found them Bonnie. Hope to see them again myself. We are here through the 13th so we may get the opportunity to capture a few more images of these little beauties.

Jim

Ákos Lumnitzer
11-08-2010, 04:09 PM
Thanks Bonnie, the 800/1.4x combo also crossed my mind I just didn't think many folks use them. Well done and go get some more images. :)

Gary Esman
11-08-2010, 08:51 PM
Nice find, I hope you do not mind I ran some NR on the background and a little sharpening.

Gary.