PDA

View Full Version : Bond Falls in Autumn

Mike Landwehr
11-07-2010, 11:42 AM
This shot of the "Z" at the upper end of Bond Falls, in Michigan's UP, was taken on October 1, a year ago. The orange color is the reflection of fall color on the opposite bank of the upper pool. All C&C welcomed.

1D Mark II N
Canon 28-135 @ 95mm
ISO 100
1/2 second at f/16
Tripod

stuart wanuck
11-07-2010, 12:29 PM
lovely image and just love the z form

Robert Amoruso
11-07-2010, 12:41 PM
Mike,

Very well composed with the strong s-curve. Shutter speed just right for the flow over the falls to show the pattern distinctly w/o it becoming a blur.

On the upper left; I would have started the the s-curve in the same manner as you end it on the lower right - in the falls portion if that framing was possible.

Well done all around.

Dave Mills
11-07-2010, 01:09 PM
Hi Mike, nice job on this! Agree with Robert's suggestions and like the detail in the water flow. The bands of color add alot to the image and overall well done!

Roman Kurywczak
11-07-2010, 04:55 PM
Hey Mike,
Curve, color, SS all excellent. Did you use the polariser? I ask because the glare on the right is a bit ditracting and wonder if you crancked the polariser to eliminate it.....not a deal breaker but see if you could tone down that area a touch. Overall very well seen and composed.

Jeff Dyck
11-08-2010, 08:25 AM
Wow - Mike, when I saw your thumbnail I actually thought I was looking at my own shot! I stopped at Bond Falls on September 27th on my way through the U.P. on my way to Ontario for a wedding and have a "keeper shot" of the very same cascade, framed the very same way (so, needless to say, I think the composition is excellent - :p) Looking closely, you look like you had some brighter skies than I did. Must be time for a "great-minds-think-alike" cliche...

Andrew McLachlan
11-08-2010, 04:34 PM
Hi Mike, wonderful colors reflecting in the water and I absolutely love the "Z" curve. Agree Roman's comments regarding the glare on the right and Robert's suggestion to start the curve inthe manner that you ended it. I think they are easy tweaks to make this top notch.

Morkel Erasmus
11-08-2010, 06:09 PM
all has been said. I strongly support Robert's suggestion of cropping some off the top so the curve starts and ends in the corners...

Chris Ober
11-08-2010, 09:34 PM
I think the crop is good as it is. Cutting off the top would lose the last bit of the second line formed in the water just before it falls and I like being able to see the full length like you have the falling part.

Jeffrey Sipress
11-09-2010, 12:18 PM
Wonderful Image, Mike. Thanks for keeping the water looking like water.

Tim Munsey
11-29-2010, 06:40 AM
What a gorgeous shot!

Tim