PDA

View Full Version : West Prong Little River

Don Hamilton Jr.
11-06-2010, 07:18 PM
Smokies, West Prong River... it has been raining and very cold for this florida boy. Man, i'm loving the photo opps. Every turn in the road is a candy shop! Full frame, and i'm not sure if i flatten the layers either... oh well :confused:
Specs:
Manual, polarizer
canon 7d, 10-22mm @14mm
2.5 secs
in the cold rain :2eyes2:

Gerald_Gilligan
11-07-2010, 02:07 AM
Don,
The water is the main focal point as presented. If that was your intent then okay...

I really think that the fall leaves could use some more emphasis or punch like the water as this would bring more interest to the wonderful color hiding in the back ground.

I do not understand the flatten layers phrase but from your other text it sounds like your were having a great time with Fall Color...

What f stop was used to create this image?

Jerry

Don Hamilton Jr.
11-07-2010, 07:13 AM
Thks Jerry, yes the water caught my eye, however your suggestion is a great one!i'll work on that approach.
F 22... Don

Robert Amoruso
11-07-2010, 12:38 PM
Don,

Tried a couple of quick things on your image to liven it up.

1) Using the Channels Palette, I CTRL-CLICK to make a selection of Highlights.
2) On Layers Palette, create BG copy.
3) Using the Refine Selection, I expanded the highlights selection.
4) On the BG copy, I created a mask using the selection - this gives you a grayscale mask.
5) Adjusted opactiy on the BG copy to 75%.
6) Hue Saturation adjustment layer using -10% Hue/+35% Saturation. The hue adjustment enhances the orange and red more.
7) Since 3, 4 and 5 above increased the brightness on the water and rocks so I painted black on those areas on the BG mask.

Dave Mills
11-07-2010, 01:18 PM
Hi Don, Robert's repost successfully lightened the image(brought out more detail) a bit and popped the color. The 2.5 sec exposure turned the water very milky with me being a fan of detail.(can be subjective)
Another idea is to show the image as a pano taking some off the top emphasizing the water more...

Roman Kurywczak
11-07-2010, 04:50 PM
Hey Don,
I think Robert covered my thoughts on the color correction well but I also think that the rock on the right draws my eye. In your specs it says FF....but this has a bit of a pano ratio......for me a crop off the right....stright up the m in your sig and then above the small 1/2 rock on the left really works for me. Check it out and let me know what you think.

Andrew McLachlan
11-08-2010, 04:29 PM
Hi Don, a nice scene, glad your having a great time with the colors. I love what Robert did with this image and agree with Roman on the large rock on the right. I wonder what you might have captured if you walked out into the river just past the two small rocks in the center of the frame.

Don Hamilton Jr.
11-10-2010, 08:38 PM
Hey Gang, sorry for the delay, back home now, and many lessons learned! Number one... laptop sucks, when arrived home and looked at the image i posted, i saw that the dell inspiron monitor sucks. All are great suggestions, and i'll try what Robert, Roman , and the rest suggested! Good stuff, thks for sharing so much great information!
Don