PDA

View Full Version : Resting Rose

Jason Hurst
11-06-2010, 02:21 PM
This was my first time using a DSLR after shooting film for over 30 years. Borrowed a friend's Canon EOS 1D Mark III for an hour or so. Can't wait to get one of my own.

Canon EOS 1D Mark III
Tamron 90mm f/2.8 1:1 Macro lens
1/60th f/4 ISO 100
Gitzo Tripod, Markins Q10 Ballhead

http://i54.tinypic.com/2974go.jpg

Roman Kurywczak
11-06-2010, 02:38 PM
Hey Jason,
Welcome to the forum! The digital world will improve your macro work by leaps and bounds because of the instant feedback and ability to correct immediately in the field! While I generally prefer more DOF.....I think it works here although I may have preferred it on the center of the bud instead of the outer leaf.....but it still does work. My biggest concern is the cut leaf on the LL. I do think including it would have helped the comp.....even if it does fall of focus as your BG is excellent! Welcome to the digital world and looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Jason Hurst
11-06-2010, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome and feedback, Roman. Very much appreciated. I will take your comments to heart, and try and learn from them, and do better next time.

Roman Kurywczak
11-06-2010, 08:48 PM
Remember....it isn't bad! Just tweaks to improve! You will love the Mark lll too if you go that route.

Jason Hurst
11-06-2010, 09:13 PM
Thanks again Roman. I look forward to taking more photos whenever I get a DSLR. (Saving for either the 1D Mk III or 1D Mk IV) I also look forward to putting any constructive criticism or helpful advice to good use.

I only had about an hour or so with the camera so I didn't really take my time as I normally would have. And to be honest, I was hyperventilating a bit since just holding it in my hands was euphoric. But now that I've experienced the initial "excitement", the next time I use a MK III or Mk IV, it should be all business.

Heck, I've been known to spend two hours(or longer) photographing a single flower.

Anita Bower
11-08-2010, 06:41 AM
Welcome to the digital world! I think you will enjoy the freedom and opportunities it offers.

You did a great job with a new camera. Lovely colors and angle of view. Roman offered some good suggestions.

I hope to see more of your images here once you have your own camera to play with.

Ken Childs
11-08-2010, 08:07 AM
Hi Jason, Roman already nailed the critique so I'll just say, welcome to the macro forum! :)

Steve Maxson
11-08-2010, 12:11 PM
Hi Jason. Welcome to digital and to the Macro forum! Roman has given some good suggestions for you to consider. My personal preference would be for more DOF to get more of those cool water droplets in focus. I would agree about the clipped petal in the LL. :) Keep them coming!

Jason Hurst
11-08-2010, 12:59 PM
Thanks everyone for your warm and most appreciated welcome and suggestions. I realize that the image could have been a whole lot better, and next time I will take more time to "see" what I have in my viewfinder before I "click".

I wanted very shallow DOF to give it an almost "dream like" appearance, but I agree it could have used a bit more.

I hope to have my own 1D Mark III or Mark IV soon, so I can relax and take my time with it to capture and create BPN worthy images as everyone else here has.

Thank you again. :)