stuart wanuck
11-06-2010, 12:27 PM
nikon d300 iso 200
ap 1/6 @ f 11
18-200 mm lens plus polarizer

Roman Kurywczak
11-06-2010, 01:30 PM
Hey Stuart,
Replying from Bryce....looks like you had excellent color and while the bottom of the flow being truncated does bother me a bit....the image appears a bit soft overall which is surprising at f11.....so try runnung some more USM on it. I do wonder if you turned the polariser too to maximize the effect on the water......as the FG water has a bit of glare on it. I feel this image is almost devided in 2.....both halves being very good but combined not working for me. Don't get me wrong.....it's not bad.....I just think it would be stronger with either a higher perspective to catch the base of the falls or concentrating on either section would be stronger. Colors look great so I hope you explored multiple comps.

Don Hamilton Jr.
11-06-2010, 07:11 PM
Stu, great one, i do echo the truncated look... love the specs.. thks for posting
Don

Robert Amoruso
11-07-2010, 12:25 PM
Stuart,

I think Roman brought up a good point on two compositions here that I did not see myself. On second consideration, I would agree with him.

Dave Mills
11-07-2010, 01:20 PM
Hi Stuart, I feel Roman covered all points and after looking at the image awhile can see the 2 comps.
IMO the image is a bit oversaturated...

Hank Christensen
11-08-2010, 03:04 PM
I love the contrast of the fall colors with the green moss. It could be oversaturated, but then I get tons of saturation with a polarizer on an overcast day. The composition problem that others have mentioned here holds true for me as well. The biggest problem is that my eye doesn't flow easily through the scene. The two foreground rocks and the water reflection is welcoming, but then I get blocked by the middle-ground boulder. My eye can't easily move around it and up the waterfall, taking away from what is an otherwise lovely photo.

As Roman suggests, perhaps moving to a higher elevation would have helped, or perhaps left or right to get around that large rock. Then again, perhaps it just doesn't work from this side of the falls - mother nature doesn't always deal us a full deck of cards! :-)

Andrew McLachlan
11-08-2010, 04:23 PM
Hi Suart, I love the colors in this scene. Agree with Roman's suggestions.