PDA

View Full Version : Rhino Island Lion 2

Ken Watkins
11-06-2010, 10:41 AM
This is the brother of the Lion I posted earlier, unfortunately we found him late at night but then were lucky to track him to a fairly open area.

Taken on Rhino Island, Matusadona National Park, Zimbabwe 19th September 2010

EOS 1D MkIV

500mm F4 hand-held from open game viewing vehicle

F5.6, ISO 1600, 1/400

Marc Mol
11-06-2010, 06:51 PM
The MkIV showing its worth here Ken, retaining good detail.
Would wish for a tad more space on left for him to look into.
TFS

Stu Bowie
11-07-2010, 01:10 AM
Ken, good detail on the big fellow, and I like the lazy stare. I hope you werent lying infront of him, :) as your POV is excellent. On my recent trip to Kruger, there was a lion lying next to our car. I could see an obstructing stick through the head of the lion. I casually said to my wife " please get out and just move that stick" :)

Ken Watkins
11-07-2010, 08:02 AM
Marc,

This is nearly full width on LHS, I am quite pleased with the MkIV at high ISO, certainly helps in situations like this.

Stuart,

I think I got down low in the vehicle for the POV, I do not think he would have liked me coming down to join him, he would probably have run away, as he is still young and not used to vehicles (hardly surprising given the emptiness of this park).

Marina Scarr
11-07-2010, 10:03 AM
Great capture of this lion. He looks so real from this POV, I almost feel as though I could reach out and pet him. :o The details are great and the BG doesn't distract from your subject. Wouldn't mind seeing him a bit less centered.

Rachel Hollander
11-07-2010, 10:24 AM
Ken - I too like the POV here. Good detail and rich color.

TFS,
Rachel

Jason Hurst
11-07-2010, 12:08 PM
Great capture, Ken.

Even though he is still fairly young, I notice he still has plenty of battle scars on his face. Shows the true rigors of life in the wild.

Robert Amoruso
11-07-2010, 01:01 PM
Ken,

I know the centering of the head is mentioned but given the need to put more in front of gaze and not clip tail, this is composed well. Having more room in front would only diminish his dominate position in the frame.

I like it just as presented.

Ken Watkins
11-07-2010, 11:00 PM
Marina, Rachel, Jason, Robert

Thanks for your comments, we hope to see him next year and for many years to come when he becomes a fine fully grown male. The mane has disinct possibilities of becoming magnificent.

Morkel Erasmus
11-08-2010, 02:32 AM
excellent POV and soft light here Ken, with the balance in composition just right for me.

it looks like he's had a few scuffles in his life :)

Harshad Barve
11-14-2010, 07:43 AM
Ken ,
Great pose here , lovely eye contact and mesmerizing colors , big congrats
TFS