PDA

View Full Version : Two Roses

Jay Sheinfield
11-06-2010, 08:42 AM
Taken inside, with window light. Hung a maroon throw for background. I wanted to give this an antique or parchment look, just for something different. Nik tonal contrast, for detail and a small bit of glow added for contrast. Darkened the BG and cropped to taste, though it may be a bit tight in the frame. Small crop of leaf at bottom.

Nikon D3s
85mm 2.8
ISO 400
.5 sec @ f/22.
Tripod, no flash.

Roman Kurywczak
11-06-2010, 02:06 PM
Hey Jay,
You have to start carrying a small set of clippers around!!!....I find the leaf crossing the stem a bit distracting....and would even consider removal of the LL one.....but only after a few test shots. Like in your previous image....I like the maroon BG as it compliments the rose.....but I would like to see it lightened a touch more. I like tight crops....so works for me and I do think with some careful cloning/patching....you can remove the leaves in post. Even with those things..... this is still very nicely done!

Mike Moats
11-07-2010, 09:05 AM
Hey Jay, I think this lools great, like the mood lighting and details. The little leaf Roman mentions would have been a good idea to remove, but most people wouldn't notice it.

Dave Woeller
11-07-2010, 09:59 AM
Hi Jay, I also lke the colors and composition for this. I think I would also like to see the background a touch lighter. I also see that (at least on my monitor) the whites are rendered a bit whiter than your last rose post. Very nicely done.

Jay Sheinfield
11-07-2010, 10:45 AM
Hi Folks....................good feedback. I'll give it a try............................

Anita Bower
11-08-2010, 06:38 AM
I like how the buds are slightly tilted giving them a graceful look. The tight crop works for me, as does the dark bg, which highlights the flowers. The crossed leaf doesn't bother me. I might darken the very lowest leaf, and brighten up the center of the top bud to match the other bud. Thanks for sharing.

Ken Childs
11-08-2010, 08:03 AM
Hey Jay, the comp looks good and the whites do look better on this one. It looks like most things have already been covered but I'll add that you should consider toning down the edges of the leaf that is between the 2 flowers. My eye keeps getting drawn to those 2 bright stripes. There are a few spots on the flowers that could be cloned out, just to make the flowers look even better. Overall this is very well done!

Steve Maxson
11-08-2010, 12:02 PM
Hi Jay. I like the lighting, background, and mood of the image. Good sharpness and depth - as usual. I would agree with tweaking some of the leaves, as mentioned above. Very well done.