PDA

View Full Version : Tiny Marsh Sunrise

Andrew McLachlan
11-05-2010, 07:15 PM

I spend much time at this wetland, it is sort of a home-away-from-home you might say. This would be one of my favorite sunrise images from this location - an older image I wanted to share. A slide scan from Velvia 50. Shot with a Nikon 35-70mm f2.8 lens. I think if I was shooting this again I would have chosen my 20-35 that I owned back then and gone a little wider. I tried to run a little noise reduction with Dfine, but was getting a little softness occurring in the clouds so I didn't apply any noise reduction to this post.

Look forward to all comments.

Roger Clark
11-05-2010, 09:32 PM
Andrew,

I really like this image. I wouldn't change a thing. The clouds in the sky and their reflection nicely lead me to the horizon where the sun will rise. Great exposure and color. (Note I am viewing on an unclaibrated laptop screen.)

Roger

Dave Mills
11-05-2010, 11:23 PM
Hi Andrew, My monitor is calibrated and the colors look good to me. Great sky and I like how the reflection is filling the foreground giving it interest. As stated I see some noise in the sky and enlarging the image might make it stand out more. I would try and address the issue with other software since the image is worth it. I tried noise ninja on just the sky and it seemed to do the job.
Finally, I like the fact I can distinguish the distant mountains and tree line from the darker area below it...

Andrew McLachlan
11-06-2010, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the comments Roger and Dave. Much appreciated. Dave, I'll try noise ninja on the sky as you mentioned. I haven't used that for awhile I tend to use Dfine when I need too.

denise ippolito
11-06-2010, 10:31 AM
Andrew, Beautiful scene and colors. Well done.

Roman Kurywczak
11-06-2010, 01:21 PM
Hey Andrew,
Yep....just the noise ninja.....be careful there and do it on lower settings. I like the "stuff" in the water as it doesn't make this a mirror image and gives interest to the scene. As Dave mentioned the mountain definition is also a huge plus. Very nicely done!

Andrew McLachlan
11-06-2010, 03:57 PM
Thanks Denise and Roman for your kind words. Very much appreciated.

Robert Amoruso
11-07-2010, 12:23 PM
Andrew,

Besides the other things mentioned, I like that you framed it to include the reflection showing the same clouds as the sky.

Hank Christensen
11-08-2010, 03:09 PM
Andrew,

Fantastic colors here! I love the contrast of the oranges against the deep blue of pre-dawn. I also see this image as a great reminder to always have that second body with a landscape lens whenever you are out photographing birds. I've kicked myself more than once for being caught in a glorious sunrise or sunset without the proper gear to capture it.

Andrew McLachlan
11-08-2010, 04:13 PM
Thanks Robert and Hank for your comments. I appreciate them very much.