PDA

View Full Version : Zion Icon at Night

Roman Kurywczak
11-04-2010, 11:11 PM
Still out in Zion leading my tour....and this is from one of the first nights out! Colors were just starting to change. Continuing on my quest for getting all the western icons at night.....here's the first.
Canon 1D Mark lll with the 17-40mm lens at 17mm at f4 and ISO 6400 for 30 seconds and moolight providing illumination as well as light pollution lighting up the "watchman" a bit more. light clouds passing through scene.
Saved at 73 quality

Maureen Allen
11-04-2010, 11:44 PM
Oh my. That is so beautiful.

Roger Clark
11-05-2010, 12:35 AM
Roman,
Beautiful!!!!!

Love the rule of thirds for the horizon and the bright star Sirius.

Roger

Andrew Merwin
11-05-2010, 07:52 AM
Beautiful image Roman. I really like how the stream leads my eye to the icon.

Dave Mills
11-05-2010, 09:39 AM
Hi Roman, Remarkably different view of a classic comp. Besides the stars what makes this for me is the soft glow on the mountains.In this case the moonlight worked to your advantage. Just enough light on the other areas to distinguish what they are without taking away from the overall look. Skillfully handled and an interesting image to gaze upon....:cheers:

Andrew McLachlan
11-05-2010, 11:00 AM
Hi Roman, absolutely wonderful! Your nightscapes are quite stunning.

Morkel Erasmus
11-05-2010, 02:07 PM
lots of nice details and oodles of depth here Roman...gorgeous sky and the light played along nicely methinks :)

Nick Palmieri
11-05-2010, 04:54 PM
It almost looks fake. I love the stars and the constellation in the upper right. I also like the white water in the lower part of the image. Exposure looks right on...but I wouldn't expect less from you. I hope your not keeping Ben up too late...

Chris Ober
11-05-2010, 05:13 PM
Beautify shot, Roman. My only wish was that Orion was more in the frame but it's nice as is. :)

For those that may not know, Orion is in the upper right corner. Betelgeuse is bright star closest to the very top. The "belt" and "sword" are easy to identify. M42/43 or most commonly known as the Orion Nebula is located in the sword and you can just make out the fuzzyness of it. Major star creation "factory". The bright star almost dead center is Sirius as Roger mentioned and it's in the constellation Canis Major. It's also the brightest star in the sky.

Roger Clark
11-05-2010, 09:07 PM
The bright star almost dead center is Sirius as Roger mentioned and it's in the constellation Canis Major. It's also the brightest star in the sky.

Minor correction: Sirius is the brightest star in the night sky. Our sun is the brightest star in the sky :p. (Old astronomer joke.)

Chris, are you an amateur astronomer too?

Roger

Roger Clark
11-05-2010, 09:18 PM
Roman,
Did you also try some lower ISO imaging to get more star colors?

Here is an image done at ISO 1600 that shows a lot of star colors (this is not my image, I just thought it had great star colors):
http://web.me.com/carlosdavid1/ThroughSpaceAndTime/Comet_103P_Hartley_visits_the_Double_Cluster.html
(it also includes a nice image of a comet.)

The Orion region shows a lot of stars with different colors, and I feel the image would be much stronger showing those colors. It will add a lot to beauty and wonder.

Roger

Chris Ober
11-05-2010, 11:39 PM
In my Homer Simpson voice, "Doh!" :) I can't believe I fell for that one....

Yes, amateur astronomer who doesn't get out as much and I'd like. Lots of trees in mine and surround yard make for difficult viewing conditions.

One of these days I'll get around to finishing the Herschel 400.

Minor correction: Sirius is the brightest star in the night sky. Our sun is the brightest star in the sky :p. (Old astronomer joke.)

Chris, are you an amateur astronomer too?

Roger

Gerald_Gilligan
11-06-2010, 01:42 AM
Roman,
I agree with Dave on the soft glow...I also like the composition that emphasizes the night sky

Jerry

denise ippolito
11-06-2010, 10:27 AM
Beautiful image. I love the water and the composition.

Eric Virkler
11-06-2010, 09:30 PM
Roman, Excellent shot. Very well done all around. Technical aspects cannot be improved upon (at least not within the limits of advice I can give). Lighting is perfect. Composition is very nice, but I can't see this image on my wall. Not sure why. I tried cropping it differently (hope you don't mind). I tried a square crop which takes the emphasis away from the stars (apologies to the astronomers for eliminating Orion and Siurius) and puts it back on the Watchman with the stars complementing the scene wonderfully and being the last piece of the puzzle. Anyway, just a thought.

Eric

Faces of Nature Photography
www.ericjvirkler.com (http://www.ericjvirkler.com)

81733O

Jeffrey Sipress
11-09-2010, 12:25 PM
Nice stars, Roman! When were you there? I was there all week from Nov 1 to the 5th.

Roman Kurywczak
11-10-2010, 01:55 PM
Nice stars, Roman! When were you there? I was there all week from Nov 1 to the 5th.
Hey Jeffrey.....I was in Zion from the 31st till the morning of the 5th......we had to cross paths although I did take a few side trips during the time period.
Erik.....I can see why you would go with that crop.....I'm not a huge fan of square ones and while I am not an astronomer....I am partial to the other stars:D.
Roger.....I did try some at lower ISO.....have to look into the software although the other illumination wasn't as nice......thanks for the link too!
Thanks all for looking and commenting!!!