PDA

View Full Version : Cattle Egret in Flight

Maureen Allen
11-04-2010, 11:04 PM
From a pontoon boat on Lake Rousseau, FL in May.

Nikon D300
200-400mm f/4 @ 360mm
ISO 800
f/5.6
1/1600

ACR and CS5, slight crop off left hand side, levels adjustment and minor sharpening

Comments and suggestions appreciated!

John Chardine
11-05-2010, 07:19 AM
Well done Maureen! Great wing angle and feeling of action. I like the composition. I wish the head, or the whole body were turned slightly more towards you. I'm viewing the image on my Macbook monitor, which is calibrated but I don't trust it for critical looks. However, I wonder if the image would benefit from a bit of brightening?

Julie Kenward
11-05-2010, 07:33 AM
Maureen, I did a few small tweaks to your stunning image...

Opened a levels adjustment layer and moved the white slider to 235 and the midtone slider to 1.11. This brightened up the darker areas a bit more.

I ran a round of noise reduction and then masked out the body of the bird so it was only on the BG.

I sharpened the head and neck area a bit as they are slightly further away from the camera's focal plane than the body is.

I used filter/distort/lens distort and moved the image horizontally so it appears to be more even with the HA. Sometimes it helps - sometimes it doesn't. Your call here.

Beautiful positioning and lovely crop. I especially like the position of the feet and toes here.

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
11-05-2010, 08:51 AM
Maureen,

Greetings. Wow, what great color and feather detail. I'm less inclined to brighten the top end very much... I do agree with some selective brightening of the midtones, & nr on the bg. A beautiful image.

Jules, I like the overall tone of the repost. The shoulder is a little too hot for my taste & I think the midtone lift with levels decreased the contrast in the wing feathers a bit too much... a selective curves adjustment might have worked better to preserve the contrast.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Julie Kenward
11-05-2010, 09:35 AM
very true, Michael...I was trying to get out the door to work and hurried through it just to give her an idea of what it would look like.

Rachel Hollander
11-05-2010, 03:03 PM
Maureen - I really like the wing position and comp that you've captured here. I agree that the bg needs NR. As to the amount of brightness, I'll leave that to you and the experts.

TFS,
Rachel

Maureen Allen
11-05-2010, 03:07 PM
Thank you for the comments. I'll try brightening it up a bit and run some NR on the BG.

And Jules, thanks so much for taking the time to show me what could be done. The filter/distort/lens distort is new to me, so I'll have to take a look at that.

I appreciate the help!

pat lillich
11-08-2010, 10:12 AM
incredible photo!!! just beautiful. love the colors and the detail in the wing especially...