PDA

View Full Version : Rose in Bottle

Jay Sheinfield
11-04-2010, 05:32 PM
Taken today, inside with available light. I used a maroon colored throw for background.
Darkened the BG slightly, and small clone of stray leaf.

Nikon D3s
iso 44
85mm macro
1/3 sec @ f/24

Comments always welcome.

Steve Maxson
11-05-2010, 03:14 PM
Hi Jay. Yet another outstanding image! The image has a lot of mood, the rose is striking, and I like the soft lighting and the way the diagonal edge of the front petal leads us into the frame. I also like that the background isn't solid black - it looks like a painting! In terms of a minor tweak - you might darken the small light area in the LRC. Very well done.

Julie Kenward
11-05-2010, 03:32 PM
Jay, it's a beauty of a rose and I like the DOF here...just wondering where the funky green irridescence on the white areas is coming from? Is that the foliage shining up on it? I'd try to look at correcting the WB a bit on the white areas unless this is how you remember the rose looking.

Nice placement in the frame - maybe a tiny bit tight on top but not by much.

Ken Childs
11-05-2010, 05:01 PM
Hi Jay, I really like the look of the vase. It has the look of the painting. I see what Jules is talking about on the whites and would try to correct that, assuming that part of the flower really is white. The flower is too straight for my tastes and I think if it were slightly leaning to the left with a bit more canvas on that side, I'd like this even more than I already do. :)

Jay Sheinfield
11-05-2010, 05:02 PM
Jules,

Sometimes I use NIK tonal contrast to bring out the details (maybe too much in this case), the downside is that it turns the whites somewhat silverish/greyish......looks like I over-corrected on the WB to the yellow/green, trying to compensate..........i may go back to the beginning on this one to correct the iridescence....I do have a bit at the top from the crop. Thanks, good feedback...............I should have mentioned the PP in the OP.:o

Roman Kurywczak
11-06-2010, 01:48 PM
Hey Jay,
Still in Bryce/Zion......I almost want to see a touch more of the BG and vase they look so good and compliment the rose. I'm with Ken on the comp......but this is still very nicely done and that will just take this to a whole new level!

Jay Sheinfield
11-07-2010, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the feedback.............not much to do about the vertical comp, other than maybe a slight rotation. The flower is wilted, by now.........:). Will keep in mind for next time. I'll give BG lightening a look.

Anita Bower
11-08-2010, 06:24 AM
Nice looking rose which shows up well against the dark bg. Some good suggestions above. I would liek there to be more distance between the vase and the bud, with the bud leaning sideways. The image looks a bit static as arranged. The vase works really well with the bg and allows the bud to be the star.

Ken Childs
11-08-2010, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the feedback.............not much to do about the vertical comp, other than maybe a slight rotation. The flower is wilted, by now.........:). Will keep in mind for next time. I'll give BG lightening a look.
Jay, I did this quick edit to show what I had in mind. All I did was to add some canvas, select the upper part of the photo above the vase, rotate it, clone BG into the new blank areas, do a little cloning to get the area where the flower meets the vase looking right and then crop. When you have a dark or even BG, this isn't all that hard to do.

It's still fairly vertical but the flower is slightly tilted and now the vase isn't quite so centered.

Jay Sheinfield
11-08-2010, 03:14 PM
Ken,

Looks great, certainly better than rotating the entire image............Never thought of selecting just the flower and rotating it.............I will give it a try. Really appreciate this..........I learned something! ;)

Jay Sheinfield
11-08-2010, 05:43 PM
Ken,

Took me a while to find out the process on the net....here is the quick rendition...............

You earned your pay on this one, I am a very happy camper!!!!!!!!;);)

Ken Childs
11-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Ken,

Took me a while to find out the process on the net....here is the quick rendition...............

You earned your pay on this one, I am a very happy camper!!!!!!!!;);)
I'm glad it worked out! :D
Sometimes I assume things I shouldn't so if you ever have detailed questions about a process I mention, please ask!

Jay Sheinfield
11-08-2010, 07:55 PM
.......didn't want to bug you. If I can't figure it out, I'll ask.:)