PDA

View Full Version : Lone Zebra

Marc Mol
11-04-2010, 04:31 PM
Took advantage of one of only 3 early morning clear skies (out of 21) with this balloon descent backdrop image.
I'm glad they don't have logos on them (as yet) as they are becoming very prevalent in the Mara, they aren't the guides favourite mode of transport.
D3s 500VR 1/1250s ISO400@f/5.6 Masai Mara, Kenya Oct 2010.

C & C most welcome

Cheers
Marc

Nancy Bell
11-04-2010, 06:37 PM
As they say, one picture can say a thousand words. Zebra and plains as it has existed for hundreds of years vs modern multi-colored balloon powered by man. Each viewer can add their own commentary. Great lighting and composition. I like that you caught a little swish of the tail. It adds a bit of tension, maybe about the balloon?

Ken Watkins
11-04-2010, 11:32 PM
Marc,

I like the Zebra, but would have preferred it without the baloon.

When we were in the Mara with Andy Rouse, we had a competition to see who could get a baloon a game viewing vehicle and an animal in one image;)

Hilary Hann
11-05-2010, 01:16 AM
Marc, I can see what you were trying to achieve but I don't find it working for me. I find the oof, coloured balloon very distracting. I think the zebra is worth a photo of its' own without the balloon … it is as if there are 2 points of interest and they don't gel. Having said that, it may be something which could make you a motza in a stock library!

There also appears to be a colour cast over the image and I wonder if anyone else sees it or if it is just my monitor.

Steve Kaluski
11-05-2010, 03:43 AM
I like it Marc and a different take from what is normally posted. Agree with Hilary on the cast, I would look at what you did on the previous images to remove it, as I think it would certainly improve things overall.

Rachel Hollander
11-05-2010, 07:05 AM
Marc - I too see the color cast. I too like the photo because it is something different but for something to look at every day would prefer an image of just the zebra.

TFS,
Rachel

Ken Watkins
11-05-2010, 07:33 AM
Marc,

Just for fun, what do you think?

Marc Mol
11-05-2010, 08:13 AM
Yes, nice one Ken, quite effective.:cheers:

Robert Amoruso
11-05-2010, 08:28 AM
Compositionally, the image would be better balanced is the balloon was on the left and the zebra looking at it. Photoshop could make that happen if that is an OK for you Marc.

As far as having the balloon in the image, I think it is an interesting departure and effective juxtaposition. I think the repost w/o the balloon has too much blue sky.

Ken Watkins
11-05-2010, 08:35 AM
I think the repost w/o the balloon has too much blue sky.

So do I, but I did not want to change anything else.

Marc Mol
11-05-2010, 06:42 PM
My repost with the colour cast removed.

Stu Bowie
11-06-2010, 12:43 AM
Marc, You have captured the perfect pose, and I like the open space around the zebbie. For an image in the middle of africa, I feel the baloon spoils this. Your repost removing the cast looks great.

Harshad Barve
11-06-2010, 01:40 AM
Repost rocks , I loved the way no of balloons take off in Mara , Different and interesting image
TFS

Steve Kaluski
11-06-2010, 02:32 AM
I think the question more to the point Marc is, do you think it is better? Did any suggestions work?

Personally I think it does and the colours look richer. If this is used elsewhere Marc would remove to two slight marks on the top part of the balloon in the red section.

Steve :cool: