Canon EOS REBEL T1i
Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro
Av mode
1/13"
F3.5
ISO:200
Tripod
LR and CS3

Shot indoors using indirect window light.

This is a fairly significant crop, representing about 50% of the original. Did some NR on most of it and sharpening was done using Sharpen Edges.

Jay Sheinfield
11-04-2010, 06:04 PM
Hey Ken,

love the colors..............pondering the comp. I 'm wanting to see more of the tip and the edge in focus and maybe rotate it a bit to get the top edge out of the URC. Also, think of a gradient to darken the left side a bit more to bring more attention to the edge and give the overall image some depth. The red seems to fade a bit in the mid left area. Just some random thoughts.................

Steve Maxson
11-05-2010, 03:01 PM
Hi Ken. These sorts of abstracts are not really my area of expertise - so I'll have to let the flower folks weigh in here. Jay has some ideas for you to consider. You certainly have lots of color and I like the ROT placement of the pointed tip of the petal with the edge leading my eye through the frame. :)

Julie Kenward
11-05-2010, 03:33 PM
Beautiful colors and love the DOF but I'd totally go vertical with it. That point feels lost in all the height IMO. I think a vertical presentation would give you all the impact of the OP but a stronger presentation overall.

Ken Childs
11-05-2010, 04:18 PM
Jules, I'm guessing you meant this would look better as a horizontal? With the point in the upper left ROT position?

That would be a pretty heavy crop but I think that considering the subject matter and general lack of detail, it would still work out OK. :)

Julie Kenward
11-05-2010, 04:32 PM
Yes, or even maybe a square crop? I'm just not feeling all that extra space at the top for some reason.

Jay Sheinfield
11-06-2010, 11:37 AM
hey ken,

just for fun, I gave it a try.............on the dark side :)! I like it, you may not. I still may take a bit off the top as Jules suggested.............

Anita Bower
11-08-2010, 06:16 AM
Glad to see you experimenting with abstracts. I find them challenging and hope to learn from your posts.

Lovely reds! I like Jay's repost, though I'd rotate it CW and crop more off the top and lighten the dark ULC. Keep them coming. Perhaps you will inspire me.

Ken Childs
11-08-2010, 10:12 AM
hey ken,

just for fun, I gave it a try.............on the dark side :)! I like it, you may not. I still may take a bit off the top as Jules suggested.............
Jay, I do like it. :)
It shows that when you're working with these soft images that don't show a lot of detail, you have a lot of freedom when it comes to editing.

Jay Sheinfield
11-08-2010, 12:59 PM
Ken,

Thanks...............

You may want to consider posting your image on the OOB forum, for this weeks theme........"soft and blurred" or something like that ................you would get even more useful feedback, I'm sure.
Cheers..........