PDA

View Full Version : Gull flight pose

Richard Unsworth
11-03-2010, 05:08 PM
Hi

Unusual shot I think; I was standing on a clifftop when this gull became motionless using the air masterfully.

SS 1/1000 f 11.0 400m on 100-400 Canon + 40D

Rich

Julie Kenward
11-04-2010, 03:15 PM
Unusual? Yep...that's the first pose like that I've seen on BPN in 3 years! Very interesting to say the least!

A few small things here...

First, you're really hot right around the bottom of the body. If you sample the white area towards the URC with the eye dropper tool and then use a soft brush to lightly paint over the hot spots they'd tone right down for you. (If you need more explanation let me know...)

I also think with his wings positioned the way they are you might go horizontal rather than vertical. Our natural inclination is that the bird will eventually fly to his right and not down so it is leaving me feeling like it's short on space at that end and long at the bottom.

I'd also see if you can get a little more light into that back wing to bring out some more detail and maybe even the face/eye area could use a little lift. You've caught an awesome image here...I'd play it up for all its worth. :)

Richard Unsworth
11-04-2010, 03:42 PM
Hi Julie

thanks for the comment;

ironically I added a little canvas to the base as the bird was looking down
on reflection I think your right, it would probably continue right using the air flow
I too have not seen this pose before, but I did notice at the time how the gulls where using the airflow around the cliffs; this one had been fighting with another that dropped below!

I can brush the body but it would be nice if you could PM the process the way you would try it as Im relatively new to this as you know, will also lighten the wing etc and then we will see

really appreciate your input

Rich

Richard Unsworth
11-04-2010, 04:14 PM
Hi

OK reprocessed

re cropped

hope you like !

Rich

Julie Kenward
11-04-2010, 04:31 PM
Very nice! And you took care of the white BG too.

Richard Unsworth
11-04-2010, 04:38 PM
Hi Julie

thanks for the guidance it looks so much better!

that's the big plus with BPN!;)

Rich

John Chardine
11-05-2010, 06:56 AM
Love the OP and the repost. I must say I really liked the unusual warm light from below on the OP and on my monitor I'm not seeing much clipping- maybe a bit at the rear end. I think the image would be stronger if the area around the eye was lightened to show some detail there.