PDA

View Full Version : Wood Duck

Doug Brown
11-03-2010, 12:07 PM
This is my first image processed on my new MacBook Air, so I'm interested in feedback from you all. I photographed this duck in the late afternoon last weekend. It was emerging from the darkness, and the sun was just starting to illuminate it. The image has a dramatic feel that appeals to me. I did not alter the BG in any way in post.

Canon 1D Mark IV, 400mm, f/7.1, 1/2500, ISO 400, manual exposure, hand held

John Guastella
11-03-2010, 12:36 PM
Doug, I like this image a lot! The bird's brightly colored and illuminated head and body emerging from the black BG are quite dramatic, as you point out. The blur of the bird's wings provide movement. There are some blue splotches in the BG, though, that I feel are a distraction (ULC and bottom of the frame) and I would consider cloning them out to make a homogeneous black BG.

John

Kaustubh Deshpande
11-03-2010, 12:54 PM
Dramatic indeed. You must have anticipated this to get the metering right. well done. Perfect crop and BG.

Katie Rupp
11-03-2010, 01:15 PM
Dramatic it is! I like it very much and the water drops add a nice touch as well. Is this with the 400 5.6?

Doug Brown
11-03-2010, 01:16 PM
You must have anticipated this to get the metering right. well done.

That's the beauty of manual exposure for flight! As long as you meter the bird correctly, it doesn't matter what kind of BG they fly against.

Doug Brown
11-03-2010, 01:18 PM
Is this with the 400 5.6?

Yep. I just love that lens when I can get in close to the subject.

Stu Bowie
11-03-2010, 01:35 PM
Hi Doug, you have brought out the colours nicely here, natural tones, and overall well exposed too. Good angled flying posture, and just love how the duck emerges from the darker BG. Great image.

Myer Bornstein
11-03-2010, 01:41 PM
I agree with all the above. wonderful color etc

Randy Stout
11-03-2010, 02:52 PM
Doug:

Nicely done, dark but dramatic, works for me.

I will be very interested in your take on the MacBook Air. I had been waiting for the second generation of ipad to come out next year, but am being tempted by the Air. After you have had some experience with it, let us know your thoughts. I know you have an iPad as well, so you can really give some valuable insight.

Cheers

Randy

Pieter de Waal
11-03-2010, 03:05 PM
Doug , Beautifull artistic image with wonderfull colours and very dramatic as you have observed. So nice to see an image different from the norm with such great impact.

Gary Hamilton
11-03-2010, 03:32 PM
Terrific image. A very different and dramatic scene. I understand the benefit of metering the bird properly in manual mode so that changing backgrounds do not affect your exposure of the bird, but can you tell us how you metered the bird properly, i.e., did some other ducks fly out of the same darkness so you could experiment on them and adjust your exposure accordingly or was this particular duck in the same light before it took off? Thanks.

Mike Tracy
11-03-2010, 05:12 PM
Very well executed on all fronts. The colors are gorgeous and I am amazed at the dynamic range you captured. The glimmer of light on his tail feathers is what makes this image for me.

I wish there had been a sliver more light on the leading edge of his upper left wing and that there wasnt such a prominent hot area on the bill.

Doug Brown
11-03-2010, 05:44 PM
I understand the benefit of metering the bird properly in manual mode so that changing backgrounds do not affect your exposure of the bird, but can you tell us how you metered the bird properly, i.e., did some other ducks fly out of the same darkness so you could experiment on them and adjust your exposure accordingly or was this particular duck in the same light before it took off? Thanks.

I had been photographing a variety of duck species all afternoon, including Wood Ducks. The light was constant so I had my exposure dialed in correctly. No adjustments were necessary for the dark BG.

Sidharth Kodikal
11-03-2010, 10:40 PM
This is stunning, Doug! Beautiful in every way. I've been drooling for a while, starting at this image.

Greg Basco
11-04-2010, 06:50 AM
Great stuff, Doug. Way to go for and achieve something different.

Cheers,
Greg Basco

Johan Kruger
11-04-2010, 03:57 PM
super shot

Doug Brown
11-04-2010, 10:10 PM
Thank you all for taking the time to comment!

Gary Hamilton
11-05-2010, 06:08 PM
Thank you all for taking the time to comment!

Thanks for the exposure explanation.

Doug Brown
11-05-2010, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the exposure explanation.

That's what we're here for Gary!

James Salywoda
11-07-2010, 08:28 AM
Awesome Shot! I love how the duck comes out of the background
well done Doug.