PDA

View Full Version : Where'd he go?

Steve Kaluski
11-03-2010, 06:13 AM
Taken early on the last day on a very overcast and dull day in Alaska, in fact just before the heavens opened. This guy had been happy fishing as the tide began to turn in his favour. All the white & black objects are flies etc that like to frequent the area and boy, can they bite!!! Someone referred to the amount of them at one point to be 'biblical'. Just love their alertness and the beads of water pouring off the coat.

The white blurred objects in the BG are more Gulls!!!!!!

Steve
MKIII 500f/4 1/500 f/4 ISO400 (slight crop on depth, Wimberley head/Gitzo tripod)

Marc Mol
11-03-2010, 06:33 AM
Love the attentive pose here Steve, but it's the water beading off the coat really makes it for me and that swishing paw is pretty cool as well.
TFS
:cheers:

Rachel Hollander
11-03-2010, 07:03 AM
Steve - I agree with Marc. I like the pose and the POV but the beading waterfall just makes this photo. I like the layered effect of the bg as well.

TFS,
Rachel

Ken Watkins
11-03-2010, 08:01 AM
Great capture, the dripping water makes it. Would have liked a little more look into space

Austin Thomas
11-03-2010, 08:35 AM
Very effective and very impressive Steve.

The ss is perfect and has recorded the water droplets in a very interesting manner.

Easy to say with hindsight, but would a horizontal crop not have worked better? We would have seen more of the paw splash and more open space on the LHS.

Pesky gulls....

Cheers

Austin

Robert Amoruso
11-03-2010, 09:17 AM
Yeek!!! The Gulls!!!

Great look on the bear face, perfect sharpness and the flowing water make the image. Nice work.

Harshad Barve
11-03-2010, 09:49 AM
This is stunner :cheers::cheers::cheers:
Loving those OOF gulls too ;);)
TFS

Shreyas Mantri
11-03-2010, 10:43 AM
This is an excellent, crisp image. Having seen the grizzlies fishing myself this summer, this sure is a lovely reminder of the experience.
Curious... where exactly did you go for the salmon migration in AK?
Thanks
Shreyas

ShilpaBS
11-03-2010, 10:46 AM
Loved his sight fixed so firmly.. undistractable! dripping water beads adds to the beauty! TFS

Morkel Erasmus
11-03-2010, 02:59 PM
love the pose, the crisp details and the soft light here Steve! I'm wondering what a slight crop from the top would do, and I would also like to see a horizontal composition with the bear looking into more space?

Andrew Merwin
11-03-2010, 05:01 PM
You nailed it Steve.

Steve Canuel
11-05-2010, 06:48 PM
A real beauty Steve. The ever so slight curve of the falling drops adds to the sense of movement to go along with the paw. Also like the layers of colors up top.