PDA

View Full Version : Cassius Blue

Leon Robinson Jr.
11-03-2010, 05:15 AM
They are fluttering all over with this warm weather. They are one of my favorites. Not able to take many pics this spring because of the tough winter here in FL. They are all over my plumbago bushes (host plant).

Canon 7D - Tamron 180mm + 25 tube - 1/320 - f6.3 - ISO 500 - HH - FF

Anita Bower
11-03-2010, 05:33 AM
Why do insects have to perch on the less attractive parts of flowers?

What stands out for me are the gorgeous turquoise markings on the wings. This is a lovely butterfly, with those zebra wings.

Perhaps a smaller aperture (allowing more dof) would help get the entire butterfly in focus. Also, maybe getting down a bit more. The insect photographers on this forum will have some good suggestions.

Thanks for sharing these beautiful butterflies.

Ken Childs
11-04-2010, 10:29 AM
Hey Leon, you certainly do get some cool butterflies down south! I think this one could benefit from a much tighter crop, something like what I did below. Now only will this get more focus on the tiny butterfly and get it closer to a ROT location, it will also remove some of the distracting parts of the BG in the OP. There's a significant amount of noise showing in the BG so running some NR would help. This is a very good shot that will easily go up a notch or 2 will some simple editing tweaks! Keep 'em coming!

Steve Maxson
11-04-2010, 10:41 AM
Hi Leon. I was just about to write my comments - but I see Ken has just written them for me! :) I like what Ken has done with the repost. Speaking of the repost - this is a very nice image with cool colors, an interesting butterfly, good comp, and a pleasing background. You're getting better at this - keep them coming. :)

Jay Sheinfield
11-04-2010, 05:38 PM
Hi Leon,

I agree with comments above. Great shot, the colors are wonderful.

Roman Kurywczak
11-06-2010, 01:41 PM
Hey Leon,
Ken nailed the direction I was going in too but I would also smooth out the stem on the UL. If possible....take this shot and them move closer.....or pop on the 1.4 as it will give you the ability to get it a bit larger in the frame. If you have it..... the flash toned down will give you the ability to get a touch more dof. You can readily HH at 1/200 sec. so that alone would bring you to f8. Just keep that in mind when working the subject.

Mike Moats
11-07-2010, 09:09 AM
Hey Leon, very nice capture, and will agree with Kens makeover.