PDA

View Full Version : White-necked Raven

Pieter de Waal
11-03-2010, 12:29 AM

White-necked Raven at Giants Castle. They can be a bit of a nuisance at times and often destroy wiper blades on photographers' vehicles parked near the hide. Seem to like the rubber.

50D/EF500f4/f4@1/1000/iso400/EC+0.67

Daniel Cadieux
11-03-2010, 05:58 AM
Good deatils, and great job on the blacks and white neck patch. I'd add back a bit of canvas below and right, if you have it, and lighten the ULC so it doesn't grab attention (low opacity, soft brush clone stamp should do the trick). Well done Pieter!

Ben_Sadd
11-03-2010, 06:08 AM
Excellent details in the blacks and you did a commendable job on keeping the white neck patch in check. These sort of birds are my nemeses. I agree on the suggestion of a little more room to the right and wish the dark patch (ulc) was not in the background, although there is little you could have done to rectify that.

Overall I really like the image.

subramanya_ck
11-03-2010, 09:31 AM
First timer for me. Looks huge and strong. Exposure is perfect.

Stu Bowie
11-03-2010, 09:32 AM
Pieter, you have nailed the exposure on the blacks very well, and just love the sharp detail. I was never aware of the shape of their beaks. Should be easy to add canvas to the left.:)

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
11-03-2010, 09:14 PM
Nice exposure with amazing details in the black. First time seeing this bird, TFS. Agree about more room to the right and the dark ULC.

Craig Brelsford
11-04-2010, 09:58 PM
This is a new corvid for me; thanks for the window. You handled this black and white bird well. You shot him in subdued light, which allowed you to get fine details on the blacks without making the white patch an eyesore. On my monitor the white patch is still lacking in detail, though. From your description, it seems the white-necked raven is accustomed to man, which suggests that for this shot you got close, which implies that you may not have much more canvas to work with. But if you can do it, then I'd go with Daniel and say add a bit of room at bottom and to the right.