PDA

View Full Version : Something a little different

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
11-02-2010, 11:49 PM
Greetings. Something a little different for me...

D3 200f/2 + TC17EII (340mm) 1/80 @ f/22 ISO200 +1.33EV pan blur, shot into morning sun

What do you think... does it work?

Cheers,

-Michael-

Ben_Sadd
11-03-2010, 05:42 AM
A very interesting idea. I wish that the birds were either running parallel to the sensor or slighty towards it, not away. Composition wise, I would have liked even more of a pano crop with a little more space to the left. If you can, I would try to lighten the birds and slightly reduce the brightness of the foamy water.

Julie Kenward
11-03-2010, 07:29 AM
I agree with Ben's critique. For me, the overly exposed foam is too harsh for me to care about the birds much - I instantly wanted to shield my eyes. It also wonder if more blur would have given you an even better image - here it feels like you just missed the shutter speed. Leaving the birds trailing behind themselves would really have taken it up another notch IMO.

Michael, how did you post-process this? Did you take it to a monochome/duotone or is this pretty much as it was out of camera? I'd love to know what you did in processing this image.

Peter Farrell
11-03-2010, 07:35 AM
I agree with the previous comments. The over exposed foam is the killer for me.
Peter

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
11-03-2010, 11:15 AM
Ben, Jules, Peter,

Thanks much for the comments. That's what I wanted to know. I was trying for something like a blurred silhouette... well, I'll have to rethink the shot...

Jules, pretty much out-of-camera, er, out-of-raw conversion, anyway. I mostly use custom curves for raw conversion (this is like pp curves, but applied in the conversion process - Nikon calls them picture controls & has an editor for them in Capture NX2). For this image I used one that I made for mid-tone contrast, essentially an s-curve. Other than that, just a minor LAB curves adjustment for saturation, and general cleanup.

Cheers,

-Michael-

WIlliam Maroldo
11-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Hi Michael. I have seen a scene like this, with sanderlings or other peeps scurrying from an incoming wave many times, and it is pretty funny, and the basic idea of the image is a good one. However, the problems of the image, as you realize and others have pointed out, are hard to overcome. Not close to a silhouette, which would show the birds much darker, not enough of a blur to show it was intentional and not an error, over-exposure that didn't create high-key, but somewhere in between, all show that some techniques have to be much more pronounced, so they appear to be deliberate, and half measures are rarely successful. regards~Bill

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
11-04-2010, 10:47 AM
Bill,

Yep... I think you've got it... I got caught in the middle. Thanks much for the comment... it helps my thinking about this.

Cheers,

-Michael-