PDA

View Full Version : White Rhino - the Sequel

Rachel Hollander
11-02-2010, 08:31 PM
This is the same white rhino from yesterday's extreme close-up. We observed him for a while as he grazed and then went for a drink. Taken in the Sabi Sands Game Reserve, South Africa.

Canon 50D
100-400 @ 400mm
1/500
f8
ISO 200
HH from a safari vehicle, no crop, some S/H adjustment and USM applied.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Ken Watkins
11-02-2010, 10:47 PM
Rachel.

For me this is much better, and is that a slight catch light in the eye?

The branch in the water may distract some but I do not mind it at all.

IHave never got a shot of a Rhino drinking this close:cheers::cheers:

James Yule
11-02-2010, 11:08 PM
I like it nice job, great detail

Harshad Barve
11-02-2010, 11:19 PM
I too liked this more , excellent image
TFS

Morkel Erasmus
11-03-2010, 01:46 AM
this is nice Rachel - maybe a tad tight at the ear but all the elements work together nicely here

Steve Kaluski
11-03-2010, 06:25 AM
Colour looks spot on Rachel and I like the perspective. Would agree with Morkel that its a tad close to the ear, would like to have seen some more both top & to the left. I think you could afford to crop some from the rhs.

Looks like this processing lark is becoming easier, LOL.

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
11-03-2010, 07:07 AM
Thanks all for the kind comments. I agree that it would be better with a little more room on top.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Rachel Hollander
11-03-2010, 07:25 AM
Rachel.

For me this is much better, and is that a slight catch light in the eye?

Sorry Ken, I had to go back to the TIFF and look and blow it up to check. As far as I can tell, it is not a catch light. One of the reasons I chose this photo to process originally is that it has some detail in the eye. There's a slight rim of the white of the eye along the eye's lower edge and that is what you see.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Ken Watkins
11-03-2010, 09:15 AM
Rachel,

Thanks for that whatever it was it certainly brightens up what is usually a rather dull (and small) eye.

Robert Amoruso
11-03-2010, 09:25 AM
Colour looks spot on Rachel and I like the perspective. Would agree with Morkel that its a tad close to the ear, would like to have seen some more both top & to the left. I think you could afford to crop some from the rhs.
Steve

I would agree with Steve on your image Rachel.